Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2001, 05:45 PM   #1
Boppa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

We have all probably experienced problems with some of the older games being originally written with DOS in mind. Thus, the problem of CONVENTIONAL MEMORY!!! In todays age of computers; Gigabyte processers, huge HDs, 512MB sticks of RAM, CD-ROMS & CD WRITERS, and who knows what other improvements; we are still stuck with a LOUSY 640K of conventional memory!! I did have at one time slightly over 600K of conv. memory available. I guess when you add hardware and/or software some of the available conv. memory gets eaten up. There is supposed to be a method of making more conventional memory available (hopefully without screwing up your system), such as 'MEMMAKER'. Not being the ultimate computer expert I seek outside help!!! Does anyone have to secret to getting more conventional memory available??? Of course, getting more available conv. memory and keeping it available are two different things!!! I have a battle going trying to get LANDS OF LORE to run and find if I succeed it may not run anyway as it needs about 585K of conventional memory!! Any ideas anybody???
Old 11-10-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

I've had trouble with the lack of con-mem myself. None of the older games work anymore, and I think it's a shame. I've tried a couple of things to increase the memory myself, but I have been unsuccesful so far.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:57 PM   #3
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yea, I need more conventional memory to run Master of Orion. Theres gotta be a way......
Old 11-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #4
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think my Dad would know, I'd have to ask him, he's a lot better with computers than me.
Old 11-10-2001, 06:05 PM   #5
Legolas
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Yea, I need more conventional memory to run Master of Orion. Theres gotta be a way......

I loved that game! (still do [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Which race was it I always played? Ehr...
NOOOOOOOOO It's too long ago! Curse you Windows!!!

Oh dear. I think I had better pay a visit to the 'Are you MAD' thread...
Old 11-10-2001, 06:12 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:

I loved that game! (still do [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Which race was it I always played? Ehr...
NOOOOOOOOO It's too long ago! Curse you Windows!!!

Oh dear. I think I had better pay a visit to the 'Are you MAD' thread...

Which races....there are so many good ones! Klackons, Darloks, Humans, Psilons, Meklars, Bulrathi, Alkari, Mrshanns, Silicoids, Sakkra. Did I miss any? Hey you know you can download the game for free if you want!I think its on the site someone mentioned on the board a couple days ago, forgot the name
Old 11-10-2001, 07:29 PM   #7
Boppa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

To any of you out there who might be thinking of downloading the LANDS OF LORE game (from 'THEUNDERDOGS.ORG'), you perhaps had better forget it. It took me 13 hours (dial-up with 56K modem) of download time and the damn thing doesn't work yet. I have had problems with no INSTALL or SETUP.EXE included with the download stuff. I may eventually get all the files I need - maybe not. Even if I get all the necessary files the thing may not work for lack of conventional memory!! Many of us do not think about conventional memory as it is apparently mostly a DOS thing. WINDOWS more or less refuses to acknowledge that another operating system exists so most of us don't have a problem with it unless we try to run games that were written basically with DOS in mind. MICROSOFT has had problems with refusing to acknowledge that other things do exist - thus their legal problems. I have a problem with WEB SITES that offer games for download when some of those games do not work. What good are games you can download that end up being nothing but problems. Missing files, corrupt files, etc. Apparently, these people at these WEB sites do not check out this stuff before making it available for download!
Old 11-10-2001, 07:32 PM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:

Which races....there are so many good ones! Klackons, Darloks, Humans, Psilons, Meklars, Bulrathi, Alkari, Mrshanns, Silicoids, Sakkra. Did I miss any? Hey you know you can download the game for free if you want!I think its on the site someone mentioned on the board a couple days ago, forgot the name

The Siliciods, the Psilons and the Darloks are the three superior races, since the Silicoids have lots of extra resouces since they don't require any food to be produced, the Psilons research extremely quickly, and the Darloks can destroy their foes from afar with assasins and if one of their foes are the Psilons they've got a place to steal tons of technology from.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:42 PM   #9
Legolas
Jack Burton

Yes! that was it, the Klackons. The big red insect kinda guys.

I loved how you could just design your own ships. Shame you could only have six though...

BTW, I liked LOL too (I have 1,2 and 3)

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 11-10-2001, 07:45 PM   #10
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Yes! that was it, the Klackons. The big red insect kinda guys.

I loved how you could just design your own ships. Shame you could only have six though...

BTW, I liked LOL too (I have 1,2 and 3)

Hail and well met fellow LOL player, I preferred LOL 1, I tried LOL 2 but didn't like it, I've got LOL 3 but it's just too FPS-like for my tastes.