Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2001, 05:12 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

do you need a LAN card, or do you only have to have cable or something and let the computer search for the other PC? Juz a question...
Old 11-09-2001, 05:22 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
do you need a LAN card, or do you only have to have cable or something and let the computer search for the other PC? Juz a question...

it is TCP/IP

you can search for games on: gamespy arcade or mplayer
just dl their program, and run games on it

also, if you know a friend's IP who is playing, you can join his game by typing his IP address directly
Old 11-09-2001, 05:39 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Do we have to install anything? Or do we have our own IPs and all... we are planning for a multi on Diablo II, and of course it is easy to know ones IP there... but the question is if it will cost us... I don't want or we don't want to spend all our money or something...
Old 11-09-2001, 05:51 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

DII? that is a different matter

you can always play on battle.net, which is completely free

about your question regard to IP
each computer logged on internet has its unique IP (it is like your social security number) you do not have to install anything, it is already there, you can check your IP by opening:

start --> program --> Dos-Prompt

then type in: winconfig
it shows your IP address there

that is, IRC, hah, sowwy [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2001, 05:54 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Isn't there anything like connecting a cable to your PC to others? I mean does it require an LAN card?
Old 11-09-2001, 05:57 AM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I dont understand what you mean by lan card

if you dont want to play on battle net, that is fine
have one of your friend created a game by using TCI/IP (it is a choice offered by the game when you start hosting) then tell him to give you his IP, you just join the game by IP (you can figure it out fairly easily)

about Lan card... I have no idea, never tried it, ask Sazerac!
Old 11-09-2001, 06:05 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well... I don't want an Internet connection, I just want us to play on to different PCs in one game. just a cable, and I think LAN (this is for multiplayer games that is better than internet and is not internet), is the thing I am talking about but a LAN card is expensive... so I was wondering if there was any alternative?
Old 11-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

a little tip for you Bahamut since we come from the same country
lan card is for cable modem and once your on the internet, it sets its own tc/ip requirement needed to play
better not play using only a modem even though its a 56k speed. i was already playing cable in the internet before and its a major lag depending on the time also. early morning is a good enough for a DECENT LAG!!!
lag= speed of internet with others.. if you have bad lag dont bother playing, it will only be a waste
cheaper way??==> play in the computer shops [img]smile.gif[/img] there is lots of diabloe maniacs out there... you can even export your character from your computer and ask them to import it in thier cafe if you have the diskette and the file [img]smile.gif[/img]
last but not the least, i dont know the DSL thingie that sky has (i think that is suppose to be just as good as a cable modem)
lan card is also used in multiplayer with one on one or one with 7 oTher players depending if you have a lan networking system (very expensive) and your computer must be connected with the other computers...

so tips?
either get cable or DSL bec modem internet sucks here
go play in the computer gaming rentals with an exported character in diablo and play with your friends (way cheaper). diablo2 game is common in computer rentals, i dont know about baldurs or icewind dale...
good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-09-2001, 09:28 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

a little tip for you Bahamut since we come from the same country
lan card is for cable modem and once your on the internet, it sets its own tc/ip requirement needed to play
better not play using only a modem even though its a 56k speed. i was already playing cable in the internet before and its a major lag depending on the time also. early morning is a good enough for a DECENT LAG!!!
lag= speed of internet with others.. if you have bad lag dont bother playing, it will only be a waste
cheaper way??==> play in the computer shops [img]smile.gif[/img] there is lots of diabloe maniacs out there... you can even export your character from your computer and ask them to import it in thier cafe if you have the diskette and the file [img]smile.gif[/img]
last but not the least, i dont know the DSL thingie that sky has (i think that is suppose to be just as good as a cable modem)
lan card is also used in multiplayer with one on one or one with 7 oTher players depending if you have a lan networking system (very expensive) and your computer must be connected with the other computers...

so tips?
either get cable or DSL bec modem internet sucks here
go play in the computer gaming rentals with an exported character in diablo and play with your friends (way cheaper). diablo2 game is common in computer rentals, i dont know about baldurs or icewind dale...
good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-09-2001, 09:37 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

dang, sorry for the double post

Catch me if you can..