Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I finally realized there was an inn on the city gates map. So my party shuffled inside to check out what was what. This nobleman talked to my party about a couple of fighting lovers, but told me not to get involved. He wandered off to a wall and disappeared. Curious, I followed him to the wall. Secret door? Okay, maybe the lovers are inside. I walk in.

What...the heck...is THAT?!

Looks like the Crypt King from the graveyard, only this guy can stop time, gate creatures, do something called "maze," etc. After spending about five reloads on the guy, I finally gave up and solved the problems in Trademeet.

What was this thing? Is this what I have to look forward to in the Unseeing Eye quest? Is there a special trick to killing it that I haven't found yet?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Spoiles ahead:
He is a Lich.He can be killled only by a +4 weapon or more...

Cheers

Xen
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Use traps to deal some heavy damage to the lich, weapons of +2 will also suffice. If you leave the crypt, the lich may follow, so you can get to see the tavern crowd get themselves killed in the firefight. I remeber leaving the inn and the guy still followed me. The guards got involved, fortunately Yoshimo got the killing blow.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Annatar
Mephistopheles

It is a vile Lich, they can be a real ass for low-level party's (9-11)... but when you defeated one, the second will not cause any problems (unless you have the Tactics Mod installed, with that installed... just try to avoid them than ) because if you know the right tactics they can be real easy.... just find your own way to deal with them..

They need a +1 (+2) magical enchanted weapon to be hit and they are immume to level 1 - 5 spells, so don't even try a magic missle on them [img]smile.gif[/img] .

When you find this guy hard... just try a Demi-Lich ... liches are little cuttie puppies compared with such a thing.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
It is a vile Lich, they can be a real ass for low-level party's (9-11)... but when you defeated one, the second will not cause any problems (unless you have the Tactics Mod installed, with that installed... just try to avoid them than ) because if you know the right tactics they can be real easy.... just find your own way to deal with them..

They need a +1 (+2) magical enchanted weapon to be hit and they are immume to level 1 - 5 spells, so don't even try a magic missle on them [img]smile.gif[/img] .

When you find this guy hard... just try a Demi-Lich ... liches are little cuttie puppies compared with such a thing.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #6
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Erm... Xen? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

[ 03-05-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 03-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
Erm... Xen? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

I just wanted to emphasize your reply.

Cheers

Xen
Old 03-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #8
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Ow.. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] okay thx... I thought you just forgot to put some text in it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 04:48 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Liches can actually be quite easy, if you know what you're doing, because they are Undead, and the game throws bucketloads of anti-Undead stuff at you.

Annatar is quite right--not only are Liches naturally immune to Normal weaponry, but they love to cast Protection from Magic Weapons as well, meaning that for the next 4 rounds, NO weapon can touch them. (Although, IIRC, the Lich in the Crooked Crane only casts Mantle.) And Breach is a Level 5 spell--see next paragraph.

Liches are immune to all spells in Levels 1-5, including Priest spells, so even though Insect Plague is usually pure gold against spellcasters, it will have no effect whatsoever here. Dispel/Remove Magic, however, can work, because they're affecting the Lich's protection spells, not the Lich himself.

Expect every Lich you meet to have a TimeStop memorized.

Weapon effects (such as elemental damage on each hit) will pass right through Stoneskin.

[ 03-05-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 03-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #10
Lemmy
Manshoon

The link in Annatar's post states: "Priests of at least 8th level can attempt to turn a lich, as can paladins of no less than 10th level." I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been able to Turn a lich in BG2. Am I just unlucky? [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'd love to insta-"chunk" or "control"(!) a Lich. Mmm, my own personal Lich...

P:
Is this what I have to look forward to in the Unseeing Eye quest?

Completing the Unseeing Eye quest does not involve lich-slaying.

Is there a special trick to killing it that I haven't found yet?

Apart from what others have said...
There's a type of Protection scroll that can be very helpful. I think it's a bit too easy doing it this way, though.

There's also an item that can be very helpful in lich-slaying. You'll know it when you see it.

-Lem
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote