Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2001, 06:02 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, guys. What has been your biggest "myth" about the game? I'm talking about beliefs, either not yet proved or disproved, that you believed how the game operated. For instance: one of the biggest myths I've heard is that if you cancel an ascension role quest, you can never again try for that role (false; I've done it numerous times). Yet another that Wyvern just mentioned: only Priests can make the teleport button in the Anephas Shrine work (false; any of my characters have done so.)

So let's get down to it. Place your "well-held beliefs" about game idiosyncracies and what-not up here, so that we may prove or disprove them for once and for all. Hopefully, this will lead to some interesting insights about the game.

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 09:33 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I really think this is such an interesting subject - I'm rather surprised that no one has come up with a myth yet.

Not quite certain how this fits in - but from following the many posts and noting the number of players who have (for the experience points) gone around and killed the major NPCs (not Sebastio yet though, drat!) - I wondered what folks thought of the oath they swore back in the crypt to gain the signet ring. Seems few accepted the "myth" that the oath actually mattered and I think it was rather a pity that the game designers didn't make it matter.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 01:20 PM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

I wonder if Nivius would even give you the Ring of the Mavin if you killed everyone in sight prior to the Oath. I just might start a new game and do just that. I'm very close to finishing the game and I intend to keep the group I have with:

Samurai
Valkyrie
Assassin
ZenMaster
Monk
& Warlock

And make the Samurai into an Assassin, the Monk into a ZenMaster and the Warlock into a Valkyrie. Evil all the way and as fast as possible from start to finish!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 01:40 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

We've gotten off of Saz's terrific subject - but - I think the game will probably allow you to do just that - going around killing anyone and anything without any consequences. Now I'm not fond of games that have you choosing Lawful Evil, and Chaotic Good or Neutral Neutral etc. so while I was glad not to find that in W&W I was rather disappointed that even the basics of the oath were not enforced.

Wyv
Old 01-22-2001, 01:42 PM   #5
coach

for some reason i was under the asuumption that my roommate and i could play our own seperate worlds and combine members of our partys at any time to tackle the harder quests. i realize you now you could play two parties seperately,but only in the same save. what was i thinking?

"Silence....."
"There is only silence...."
Old 01-22-2001, 02:10 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I agree totally with Wyvern that one of the greatest myths of the game is the "Sacred Oath". For something that is brought up so much in the beginning sequences, it is woefully apparent that anything you do in the game will not precipitate the Sacred Oath...at least anything anyone has done yet.

However, if you open up the folder in your Wizards & Warriors directory and listen to some of the .Wav files of Nivius' speech, apparently there are some in there that indicate that the character HAS been consumed by the wrath of the Mavin. I don't know if there is an action somewhere in the game that no one has taken yet that will bring this about. If you want to hear this for yourself, browse to the Speech folder in the Wizards & Warriors folder in your hard drive, and review the files in the 137-1611wav folder. (There's only 3 .wav files there). I don't know if this feature was planned but never activated, or if there is some action that you do to cause this to happen.

So an interesting enigma, and a potential myth. Has ANYONE been consumed by the Mavin?

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 02:17 PM   #7
Moni

I also thought that the Oath had a lot to do with the use of the Mavin & carried it around forever afaid to equip it and go around killing things for fun & profit in fear that something might happend to the character who weilded it. After all, I did swear I would use it for good & not evil...killing things for fun & profit seems to me like its kinda on the evil side of things, even if those killed are enemies who would have attempted to kill me had I not fought back.
When I killed Cet, I was asked if I would relinquish ownership of the sword...wondering now of I had kept it what being consumed by it might have entailed, if anything.
: )
Moni
Old 01-25-2001, 05:43 AM   #8
carg
The Magister

Moni: If you won't give the sword, Anephas and Kerah give up on earth and crawl back to the heavens. No consequences. And I admit it's more of a challenge to play evil when you're not rewarded or even penalized for it.
Shattered Myth: that the key from Adrianna would be for the lvl 12 lock in the Lich's study.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 05:39 PM   #9
Molva

1) If you got really powerful early in the game (which would take forever near Valeia), do you think you could kill the oracles? And how come there is nothing in that cave behind them?
2) What about Kol? Can you ever get strong enough to knock him off before Erathsmedor? He shows up like 3 times...
Shattered Myth: I thought the horse could ride the raft...wouldn't that be sweet...
Old 01-25-2001, 07:11 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Well - if there is any value to the strategy guide (which is in question) the listing of the Oracles would indicate that you cannot do anything to them at all. There is no listed experience points and no hit points either. They are level 1 too. How odd!

Kol is listed as having both hit points and experience point value.

Wyv