Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

hi,
I'm back from vacation and again bothering my fellow Ironworkers for advice

I'm thinking about starting pen and paper role-play with some friends but have never done that before
I fancy the 2nd ED. AD&D Forgotten Realms because i know most about it from BG2 (now don't you ridicule me people I told you I was only a PC-Player)

Now:

What would I need in equipment (char sheets, rulebooks, dies,...)
How many people are sensible for a PnP session (is 3 too little? is 5 too much?)
any other advice (start with MEarth it's easier, never switch masters, ...)
Old 08-08-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:

What would I need in equipment (char sheets, rulebooks, dies,...)
How many people are sensible for a PnP session (is 3 too little? is 5 too much)
any other advice (start with MEarth it's easier, never switch masters, ...)
Equpiment- players handbook, Dungeon master guide, monster manual, premade modules(unless you are going to make you own adventures) <----all this stuff is out of print in 2nd edition, but you can find it on ebay, through amazon, at local hobby shops that cater to roleplaying games.

Character sheets can be found on the web for free.

Dice- at least one set with: one-d20 one-d12 two-d10 one-d8 three-d6 one-d4
preferably each player and the dm will have a set of dice

D&D can be played with as few as 2 people, 3 will work, and anymore than say 8 can get a little hectic. I have played with 12 people before. If you use a premade module this will determine the optimal amount of people, but a good DM can tweak the difficullty to suit any amount of plauyers. I prefer 4-6 players.

Other advise- Find a module designed for beginner. Read up on the rules before playing and have atleast some of the other people playing do the same. Switching DMs is fine, but it helps to finish one adventure before doing so to keep up momentum....hmm if I think of any other advise I'll share.

Any questions?