Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2000, 03:48 PM   #1
stred
Welcomed New User

I resently started a new game to see how an evil party behaves: me--> fighter/thief(neutral evil),Korgan,Edwin,Viconia,Jan Jansen (i know he isnt evil but he is neutral and very usefull,after all they arent any other evil NPCs).So i got Edwin and from Renal Bloodscalp the thieves guild,then i went to Nalias keep to save her and after that she also gave me the castle so now i got two strongholds! It seems that Nalia doesnt want to get married soo much she can override the games code!

P.S. i was wondering,why the best fighter(Korgan),mage(Edwin),cleric(Viconia) are all Evil?
P.S.2 best fighter is Korgan,best warrior is Keldorn.
Old 12-11-2000, 03:58 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

WOW! has anyone else managed to get two strongholds? I read that it is possible for a dualled fighter/mage, but I thought it only worked if you refused the fighter stronghold, got the mage one and then returned for the fighter one again. So is it possible for all Multi or Dual Classed Characters?

About the evil guys being the best NPCs; I have to agree that they're all really good but
1. I think this is really cleverly done: most people want an all-good party and play with good-aligned characters, and so if they want the game's best NPCs this means they shall have to compromise. I think this keeps the game in better balance.
2. Don't underestimate the good/neutral guys either: Jaheira's really good both as fighter and magic-user (yes, I'm also on the Jaheira-side ), Aerie may not progress really far spell-wise (and might annoy the hell out of some of you ) but the combination cleric-mage is of course really efficient, and Minsc and Keldorn -well-equiped, that is- are both good fighters.
Old 12-11-2000, 05:11 PM   #3
Armisael

I've seen the stronghold thing before, but it's your comments about the characters that interests me. It's no big secret that the three evil characters are most probably the best in the game, and Melusine's right, most people have a natural tendency to think of themselves as 'good', so they have an aversion to these three NPCs.
Also, I'm another big Jaheira fan. Everyone seems to think she's the most annoying character in existance, but I can't agree. Ah well.

Old 12-11-2000, 11:38 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've been totally won over by Jaheira in BG2. She is a lot more effective than in BG1, especially with access to those high level druid spells.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:42 PM   #5
The X
Dungeon Master

Amen to that Memnoch.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:48 AM   #6
stred
Welcomed New User

hey i didnt say i dont like Jaheira cause i finshed both BG1 and BG2 with her i was refering to single type characters(jaheira is multi.)
also for the need to keep a balance in good-evil i find that unfair its just like we see in some movies that the bad dude is cool,mean,interesting but in some amazing way the good guy wons! i disagree with that logic,makes people and especially kids to think that bad guys are cool!
Old 12-12-2000, 06:26 AM   #7
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Well... I cant say I agree with that logic, Stred... about the kids anyway. But anyways, it's not very strange that the evil guys are powerful since they are in general egoists and their sole purpose of doing what they do is to gain power for themselves. For example, Edwin lives to gain power and since he is clever, he succeds. Mazzy, on the other hand, is a good girl and devotes her time to help others, which or course brings power as well in a way but nevertheless makes her less "powerful" than the evil guys. Viconias and Edwins power is thus easily explained. About Korgan, well, he might be the best fighter but I don't think he is the coolest or the most interesting. I find Minsc, Mazzy and Keldorn all as intriguing and I can't say the gamemakers have put more effort into making Korgan cool than into these others.

Hrm... am I making sense or am I rambling? Might be best to get off the soapbox.
Old 12-12-2000, 06:36 AM   #8
Armisael

I found Korgan almost as entertaining as Jan. At least give him a chance. For best results, put him in a party with good- and neutral-aligned people. He makes some right scathers to Aerie, Nalia and Jaheira, and he has a thing for Mazzy, which I found bloody hilarious. Even tries poetry on her at one point.

Old 12-12-2000, 08:34 AM   #9
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Didn't say I don't like him, cuz I do (didn't before though), just saying I think some others are as cool as he is, and that his coolness doesn't neccesary come from him being evil.
Old 12-12-2000, 03:34 PM   #10
stred
Welcomed New User

when i said about evil and coolness i was reffering generally in movies and not so in games.also i agree that its more logical evil character to be more powerfull.