Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
Neb
Account deleted by Request

There is quite a lot of disagreement about this, please provide reasons for you opinions, I haven't tried 1st edition but I say that 2nd edition is FAAAAAAAAAAAR better than 3rd edition!!!
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 11:40 AM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

(checks to see if hes far enough away from the ensuing pen and paper players flames) yup let the flaming....I mean debating begin.

------------------
BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 12:21 PM   #3
Lord Shield

I have played and GM'd in all 3
I preferred 1st edition to 2nd edition because 2nd edition wimpified the mages. The whole point about mages was that they started as the weakest and became the toughest. After 2nd edition, this higher-level balance no longer existed
I love 3rd edition. Character creation at its best. The ability scores/hit points are still random but everything else is selected by the player. The restige classes are good
The extra books with prestige classes are so-so. Some feats and prestige classes are so munchkin, myself and my friend will not use them. In saying that, though, there is much we would like to incorporate in our games
I think I should add so-called BASIC D&D here, too. The 5-box set was ok, but had many loopholes and few classes. The Cyclopedia was much better. I prefer AD%D because Basic Elves are ALL fighter/mages, Basic Dwarves are ALL fighters, Basic Halflings are ALL fighters.

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp
Old 05-20-2001, 12:40 PM   #4
Neb

Halflings fit the Thief class better than the Fighter class.
Old 05-20-2001, 02:47 PM   #5
Aurican
Elminster

I haven't played pnp but just from what i have read I think 3rd is best because it offers a lot more character development.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?

http://angelfire.com/rpg/aurican
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 04:04 AM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Havenīt played DoD first but have played the basic rules. Have played ALOT of 2:nd edition and 3:rd edition is still going. I prefer the 3:ed rules. The character creation and the multiple ways to change and make a special character is great. I like the add on books with new prestige classes, even if some are well not that great IMHO, but the new ways to use feats, skills and for example turn undead abilities are great. Makes the game very flexible, and i like that.

have played alot of other games like Kult (you call it Cult I believe) traveller, Twilight 200, Runequest, Lord of the Rings RPG, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk and alot of Swedish games..

i do like the DoD Universe and all the add ons, they have been great but I didnīt like the creation of characters before, now itīs more fleshed out and really good.

------------------

Yawning lazywolf..
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 05:29 AM   #7
Bleys
Dungeon Master

Personally I like 3rd ed, but only after some modification.

I have played in and run hybrid systems, which mix 1st ed and 2ed rules (and soon to be 3ed) together taking the best of all games. Way I have seen it used to be run ( the group I play in sort of split up after 3 members left the area) is to allow nearly all optional rules and allow nearly all class in, but if you create a munchkin, be prepared to fight munchkin killers, as normal enemies. And with that rules we used AD&D is quite a deadly game, especially at high levels.

When I get round to running 3ed it will be a mix of 3ed with some 2ed and extra rules taken from other games, and a few of my own, all to make the game more balanced, especially at higher levels (Which at the moment is very unbalanced).
Bleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 08:59 AM   #8
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I missed the 1st edition

the 2nd and 3rd edition is too tame compared to the 1st....

------------------
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 07:03 PM   #9
Neb

I never tried 1st edition, but I still think that 2nd is FAR better than 3rd.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:53 PM   #10
Gargoyle
Manshoon

I like 3rd edition, it allows more powerful character creation, However I do think 2nd edition was poor when compared to 1st.

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote