Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2001, 08:33 PM   #21
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
for goodness sake, yorick, stop being so sensitive, it's really irritating and smacks of huge insecurity.
??? And just what am I insecure about oh Flaming one?

As for being sensative, I would have thought the ability to feel and empathise a positive one. I am an artiste after all. For goodness sake tracey, stop being so abrasive and learn some diplomacy, it's really irritating and smacks of huge insincerity.

Round one ended in a draw, I reckon.

Is there going to be a round two (bated breath ) or was that it????

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Silver Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 08:36 PM   #22
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Fecking hysterical Yorick, I know you're trying to make a serious point here, but hey, this is the funniest post I've read in a long time. Keep going, bro. (Sure you haven't missed your vocation as a stand up comedian?? )

Gald to be of service. Many a true word is said in jest. May as well have fun while I'm pulling out my hair. Did you catch my aliteration excercise in the letter 'Q' earlier?

------------------
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 08:56 PM   #23
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
we all have a right to point out the foibles and dislikes about other nations. this is a free country (forum) after all and i, even though not american, would defend everyones right to do so.

for goodness sake, yorick, stop being so sensitive, it's really irritating and smacks of huge insecurity.

Well I guess it depends on what you post. It's OK to post what you believe in, and disagree with others, as long as you don't bash there beliefs in a rude manner in the process. That is the rules here on Ironworks, this is Ziroc's forum remember, and not a "free country" LOL. For just an example, if one says "I love America", it is OK to reply "I love MY country, because..." or whatever, etc. But if you say "I think all you American flag wavers are ridiculous" or in some way take another's words and bitch about them, then you are intentionally being insulting, no matter how you may try to cover it up by adding smilies or saying "just my opinion" or "no offense," as the insult is obvious. You will NEVER see me reply in a negative manner if I see a person say they love thier particular country, or show patriotism towards it, I do not feel offended, or insulted in any way, why would I for crying out loud? Of course we all love the countries we live in, and hold them in a special place in our hearts, nothing wrong or unusual about that. If you love your country, good for you, more power to you!!! Wave your flag, show pride in yourself and where you came from, again, nothing wrong with that! And AGAIN, loving one's country, and being supportive of it, does not mean you dislike or look down upon other countries, anyone who thinks that is ignorant and mistaken.

Same goes for threads on religion. You can reply if you disagree by saying "this is what I believe...." instead of "why do you believe that? I find your beliefs not credible," etc., e.g., again, insulting a certain person instead of just posting your own position in a general manner. And I also think that repetitive posting on many many threads, saying the same thing again and again and again and again, is redundant after time, and screams of an obsessive nature.

And once again, on the same note, if I see a thread with a person talking about their religion that is different from mine, you will NEVER see me post to it questioning or ragging on said religion. If you have NO religion whatsoever, again, I will not argue with you, nor try to convert you to believe differently, as I have respect for your individual decisions.

Again, I think the main point here is that respect for eachother is what is needed here on this forum, and all those sarcastic argumentative replies are not productive, as nobody is going to change their beliefs on either side, so why go round and round about it? What purpose does it serve? What do we gain? Absolutely nothing.

------------------
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 08:58 PM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Another great post Wendy. Hear, hear. Well said.

------------------
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:14 PM   #25
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick, great thread! You crack me up, dear Bard!

Tracey said:
Quote:
Uh.. Yorick? Insecure??!! OMG! Now THAT is the funniest thing to cross a thread in ages!

LadyZ, good post. That is pretty much how I feel. I don't like to see all the 'attacks' instead postive statements of fact/belief/idea. It's one thing to say you prefer rock worship and living in a space capsule but another to tell me my religion is a sham and I live in a country that's a pit of vipers... sigh..

Silver Cheetah said
Quote:
Round one ended in a draw, I reckon. Is there going to be a round two (bated breath ) or was that it????
Hmm...Is this supposed to be a war zone.. or a forum ABOUT the war?

Neb, you have a great sense of humor! Ramon, you too.

Kazzie don't you worry.. I'm sure Yorick can work in any nation you need to see an example for! And you are a FINE representative of your own counry.. I truly am honored to meet someone as young, yet wise and thoughtful and funny as you are.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 11:04 PM   #26
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It's incredible how people lately have felt that it's open season on the United States, using the disaster to prove a point about American patriotic attitudes, and percieved 'cockiness'.

Bin Laden did not blow up the WTC because Americans are 'cocky'. If that were the reason, the Arc D'triomphe, Buckingham palace, and Zoo station all should have been attacked.

Anyhow, we have an international board. Part of communicating with others from different nations involves BITING YOUR TONGUE about percieved character trait flaws from other nations. Otherwise we could have this scenario:

The British are xenophobic, stuffy, emotionally repressive, disunified and poor at sports. They all hate the French, Germans and all of Europe - thus travelling to America quicker than they would the continent - and cling to past glories because the present so drearily mirrors their climate. Miserable and sunless.

The Germans are repressive about everything. They're unfriendly control freaks with chips on their shoulders and an overly cautious attitude that borders on self-blame paranoia. I wish they'd lighten up and smile in the streets a little during winter.

Canadians possess an envious 'little brother' mentality regarding the USA, as do New Zealanders with Australia. However the Canadians have whiney seccessionistic French in their country and must pander to the spoilt brat tantrums Quebeqois throw every time a non Froncophile is running the country.

Australians are hard arsed cynical bastards with an obsession with the "Tyrrany of distance" and ridiculous level of belief that their landscapes are the greatest anywhere. Well, they're right about that so it makes it worse. Sport is God there and a sensative artist will be skinned alive to the chants of 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi."

I'll stop there. You get my point. I denigrated my own country to highlight I do not believe the said generalisations. I am trying to point out that we can all make generalisations about every race, nation, religious group and economic class.

We are individuals though, many, if not most of whom break stereotypical moulds.

CONSIDERATION, respect and a biting of ones tounge are necessary when dealing with those from other nations. The odds are they know more about themselves than an outsider.

Very well said Yorick, you took the words right out of my mouth! I would like to add something if I may, that hopefully will put thing into perspective a little after the tragic events of 9-11.

If we could shrink the worlds population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like this!
There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans
52 would be female
48 would be male
70 would be non-white
30 would be white
70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian
89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual
6 people would posses 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
1(yes, only 1) would have a college education
1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.
The following is also something to ponder....
If you woke this mourning with more health than illness....you are more blessed than the million people that wont make it thru this week.
If you have never experienced the danger of combat, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation.....you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
If you can attend church without the worry of harassment, arrest, torture or death .....you are more blessed than 3 billion people in the world.
If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep.....you are richer than 75% of this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish somewhere.......you are among the top 8% of the worlds wealthy.
If your parents are still alive and still married....you are very rare, even in the United States.
If you can read this post right now, you are again blessed not to be one of the 2 billion people in the world who cant.

Just a little something to think about!

Bullvye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 11:43 PM   #27
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullvye:

If we could shrink the worlds population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like this!
There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans
52 would be female
48 would be male
70 would be non-white
30 would be white
70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian
89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual
6 people would posses 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be from the United States.
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
1(yes, only 1) would have a college education
1 would own a computer

When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.
The following is also something to ponder....
If you woke this mourning with more health than illness....you are more blessed than the million people that wont make it thru this week.
If you have never experienced the danger of combat, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation.....you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
If you can attend church without the worry of harassment, arrest, torture or death .....you are more blessed than 3 billion people in the world.
If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep.....you are richer than 75% of this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish somewhere.......you are among the top 8% of the worlds wealthy.
If your parents are still alive and still married....you are very rare, even in the United States.
If you can read this post right now, you are again blessed not to be one of the 2 billion people in the world who cant.

Just a little something to think about!

Right on! So easy to forget how good we have it... and ANYONE reading this post has it pretty damn good...
Old 10-21-2001, 06:04 AM   #28
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Very good! It makes you see how well you are off (if you weren't you probably couldn't read this post).
Just btw, wouldn't it be 52 male and 48 female?
Second btw, thank you Cloudy!

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 06:11 AM   #29
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Very good! It makes you see how well you are off (if you weren't you probably couldn't read this post).
Just btw, wouldn't it be 52 male and 48 female?
Second btw, thank you Cloudy!

Nope there are more females than males in the world. It has to do with longer lifespans and such.

------------------

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 06:16 AM   #30
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

we ahve some good stuff here!! good posts, guys!
250 is offline   Reply With Quote