Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2001, 08:33 AM   #71
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Yes, I've seen the movie The Shawshank Redemption! Excellent read in its original form of: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, too!!! Even if it was only one of his 'short stories'.

If you liked that, then you MUST read The Green Mile! What a moving and gripping story!!! He really doesn't do JUST horror! The man is truly a master of the macabre! I have EVERY book he's ever written. (Can you tell I'm a fan???) I've ready everything I can get my hands on that he's written and have rarely been disappointed. When I HAVE been disappointed, it's because he only wrote a short story where I wanted to read a whole book!

Also - to Clive Barker, I must admit that I haven't read anything of his (that I remember), but I do watch most of his movies.

And I read on a myriad of subjects, too. Just about anything I can get my hands on is fair game. I've got horror, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, not too much on romance or westerns - depends on the story. I've got complete sets of authors such as Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Stephen King, Tolkein, Anne McCaffrey, Ann Rice, Katherine Kerr, Jean M. Auel, Peter Straub, Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Terry Goodkind, Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman, Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, The Iliad & The Odyssey, Beowulf (in Olde English as well as Middle English...my library is ENORMOUS! (can you tell I like to read?)

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Honored to be a member of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-28-2001, 09:35 AM   #72
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
And I read on a myriad of subjects, too. Just about anything I can get my hands on is fair game. I've got horror, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, not too much on romance or westerns - depends on the story. I've got complete sets of authors such as Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Stephen King, Tolkein, Anne McCaffrey, Ann Rice, Katherine Kerr, Jean M. Auel, Peter Straub, Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Terry Goodkind, Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman, Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, The Iliad & The Odyssey, Beowulf (in Olde English as well as Middle English...my library is ENORMOUS! (can you tell I like to read?)

Soul sister again - reading is my favourite thang, or was, till I discovered the forum..... Let's see, I'm completely with you on the Tolkien, also Shakespeare. Quite like Anne McCaffrey, (Fljots like Auel, find it a bit slow personally), then there's Zindell (who is my sci fi god), Zelazny, William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, Neal Stephenson, Douglas Adams, Sheri Tepper (if you haven't read any, go get Six Moons Dance or The Gate to Womens' Country, - awesome), Joanna Russ, Frank Herbert, Pad Cadigan, EE Doc Smith (purile North America rules the universe space opera stuff - hysterically funny, I know them off by heart)..... well, that's a few. Currently reading Beauty, by Sheri Tepper. Thought provoking, very.... Well, she always is.... And a brilliant and enjoyable writer also. Oh yes, Robin Hobb! One of the best story tellers EVER...

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 09-28-2001, 09:38 AM   #73
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Oh MY! So many more authors to explore!!!
The only one you listed that I left off of mine was Frank Herbert.
I have MANY more books/authors that I didn't list.
Thanks for the suggestions, I shall go check them out post haste!

------------------

Enlightened Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

Old 09-28-2001, 09:55 AM   #74
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hello! Shouldn't some of this go into the poem thread? Or the books forum?
And, Silver Cheetah... *sniff* I have to get all my wisdom teeth pulled soon. I'd almost forgotten.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Old 09-28-2001, 10:10 AM   #75
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
And, Silver Cheetah... *sniff* I have to get all my wisdom teeth pulled soon. I'd almost forgotten.

Hi, Kas! Yeah, i was thinking some of it should go in the books forum as well! Didn't notice a poetry thread?

Widom teeth:

(((((((((((BIG HUG)))))))))))))

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 10:11 AM   #76
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Oh, honey, don't worry! I had mine out just two years ago (at age 30). They were aggravating my migraines. I'd never had dental work other than a cleaning before and I was nervous. Getting you numbed up is the only really bad part. I had to keep my mind on other things because I'm not too keen on needles, but it was over before I knew it. No biggie.

From the time he gave me the first shot of novacaine to the time he pulled out the last tooth - 20 minutes. You're even luckier if you get to 'go to sleep' during the process like my Mom did when she was about 17. She REALLY doesn't like needles, so the had to anesthetize her. I had mine out two days before Thanksgiving, still cooked the entire meal for my parents, etc. AND managed to eat Thanksgiving dinner! (Very small bites of only the 'soft' stuff, but I ate!)

Then, I had pain for, maybe a week, but they prescribed me some really nice Naproxin (very strong ibuprofen, I think). That made me just not care too much if I hurt or not!

You'll do fine. It'll be OK, I'm sure.

------------------

Mage extraordinair.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

Old 09-28-2001, 10:17 AM   #77
Kaz

Thanx DragonMage! I'm rather nervous because my brother had his out about a year ago and he felt really awful for days - couldn't go to school, cheek swollen to twice the normal size,...
BTW, the poem thread is titled: Tears' Fountain, Sanctuary III.

------------------

Kazara

Old 09-28-2001, 10:28 AM   #78
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Thanx DragonMage! I'm rather nervous because my brother had his out about a year ago and he felt really awful for days - couldn't go to school, cheek swollen to twice the normal size,...
BTW, the poem thread is titled: Tears' Fountain, Sanctuary III.

Your welcome, sweetie! I hope all goes better for you than for your brother.

Also, re Tears' Fountain...I agree some of these need to be entered over there. We need to also continue to make up some more such as this thread was originally intended for. I think we've run the gambit of topics here! But it's so much FUN!

------------------

Mage extraordinair.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

Old 09-28-2001, 10:56 AM   #79
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

Heya Kaz! I wrote you a reply to the above, with a bit of a horror story about wisdom teeth extraction, but I lost it in the wilds of cyberspace. Guess it's roaming around looking for a friendly home right now, hope it doesn't mutate into a virus or a trojan horse, and start making a nuisance of itself.....

But don't worry! Most people have very good experiences of wisdom teeth coming out (well, when I say 'good', I mean quite tolerable). Not everybody goes through hell with two people pulling on their tooth (one around the waist of the other......) I will stop it right there..... I think...

PS How old are you Kaz? (if you don't mind me asking...)

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 09-28-2001, 11:31 AM   #80
Kaz

I don't mind, if you search long enough you'll find a few threads where I said how old I was, anyway. I'm 15 (teenage is the best age not that I've had experience with many others )

------------------

Kazara