Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 08:04 AM   #131
mreball
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey CTHULHU007 so what will your characters name be in NWN, maybe we can hook up after you see that CHANGE isnt so bad [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 05-01-2002, 08:36 AM   #132
jonny bear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

wow this topic is on its 6th page, its nice to see an ongoing debate like this instead of a topic being posted recieving a few replies and being deleted or somethin, keep it up.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:23 PM   #133
Jenas Rhodry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The way I look at things (at least in the pen & paper game) very few people actualy use the rules written exactly as they are witten in the books anyway. The group I belong to currently uses a mix of 2nd edition with some things taken from the players option rules and more that we "borrowed" from othr more obscure systems to try and maximize character flexibility and to try to make combat more dynamic. I'll post a new topic to discuss these rules if anyone is interested!
If life is problems and living is solving problems then death must be a total lack of problems.<br />So come let me end all your problems!<br /><br />Jenas Rhodry Bard Blade Doomguard Factotum and all around \"nice guy\"
Jenas Rhodry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:55 AM   #134
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CTHULHU007:
Blind is your might blind is your sight. We who know better know we are right. To many 3rd EDition is quite the feat, but do not gorge me on your rotted meat. Balance is golden that is so true, but D&D faltered and fell from it's stool. I long for the old days when things were much better, but those days are gone and now I'm in fetters. Like the game I might but my game is dead replaced by a thing that is better unread. So as has been said do what ye wish and eat your cold dish.

I hope I've amused you with my little ryhme but as you can see I'm all out of time. So all things golden there must come an end, but those that hold true shall never give in.
Cthulu, love your rhyme, but do I sense a little bit of frustration at being unable to change people's opinions? It's one of the toughest things to do - online or otherwise.

You're a loyal defender of Gary Gygax and 1st Ed and that's fine. I hope you're not seeing 3rd Ed as being counterproductive to Gary's efforts - see it as an evolution. And as you have so eloquently argued, there is absolutely no need to move onto the 3rd Ed bandwagon if you're happy with what you have. 1st Ed works fine for you, so why change? Why buy a new car when the old one is working perfectly, and you're comfortable with it? Stick with the tried and trusted.

As you point out, there won't be any more OFFICIAL material, but there are countless sites on the internet where you will be able to get great material for campaigns. There won't be any ruleset updates, but if you say that it's perfect as it is, you wouldn't really be looking for any improvements, would you?

But one man's wine can be another man's poison, as we all well know. Some people find that the "flexibility" of 3rd Ed gives them much more scope to enjoy their game than they did in the previous editions. In reality, all that 3rd Ed has done is put the onus on the player to manage his character by selecting specific feats and skills, rather than have them as "default" to certain classes. If you want the "standard" 1st or 2nd Ed fighter or thief, then I'm sure there are a lot of default templates that can be used.

Remember Gord? The acrobat/thief that was the star of the Artifact of Evil series? I just reread that series now and was surprised - Gord could have come out of a 3rd Ed ruleset, with all his miscellaneous skills.

Keep in mind that a lot of today's gamers haven't even played 1st Ed - it's a bit harsh to castigate them on their choice of RPG or to classify them as "Diablo ROLLplayers".

That doesn't mean that Mr Gygax's previous work was better or worse - any more than we can say that a 1967 Corvette bigblock can be better or worse than a 2000 fuel-injected, automatic edition. It all depends on the individual and what their preference is.

[ 05-02-2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote