Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2001, 04:44 PM   #1
daan
Silver Dragon

In the spell descrition it says that Dimension Door "fakes" a dimension door, fooling your opponent in thinking you are gone, while your actually (improved) invisible.
Now i've never payed any attention to this, but, ....
Wouldnt this mean an enemy mage should not cast Divination-spells such as true-sight, if you use this spell.
I mean, why would a mage try to dispel your invisibility, if it thinks you're gone ???
(or should you just accept the fact he probably heard you or something ??)
Old 12-15-2001, 05:10 PM   #2
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Actually, the spell of which you speak is "Shadow Door." Real Dimension Door is in BGI and restricted to NPC's in BGII. See my reply to the "Help for a battered Dungeoneer" Post. No, Shadow Door is really just a fancy form of Invisibility. Yes. it is suscepptible to True Sight, etc., but it's "supposed" to make the enemy spellcasters think that you have DD'ed elsewhere, not just gone invisible.. Or that's my take on it.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 05:12 PM   #3
JohnTheMutt
Welcomed New User

Do you mean Shadow door? Dimension door actually would allow you to travel or teleport right? But I agree with your basic point. Perhaps the mage is just making sure your "gone" and not trying to fake it...
Old 12-15-2001, 05:20 PM   #4
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by daan:
In the spell descrition it says that Dimension Door "fakes" a dimension door, fooling your opponent in thinking you are gone, while your actually (improved) invisible.
Now i've never payed any attention to this, but, ....
Wouldnt this mean an enemy mage should not cast Divination-spells such as true-sight, if you use this spell.
I mean, why would a mage try to dispel your invisibility, if it thinks you're gone ???
(or should you just accept the fact he probably heard you or something ??)

I haven't checked the description in the game but in AD&D the spell which it is (supposed) to be based on, is quite handy.

Range:0
Components:V (verbal)
Duration:Instantaneous
Casting Time:1 (awesome)
Area of Effect:The caster
Saving Throw:None

By means of a dimension door spell, the wizard instantly transfers himself up to 30 yards distance per level of experience. This special form of teleportation allows for no error, and the wizard always arrives at exactly the spot desired-whether by simply visualizing the area (within spell transfer distance, of course) or by stating direction such as, "300 yards straight downward," or, "upward to the northwest, 45 degree angle, 420 yards." If the wizard arrives in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, he remains trapped in the Astral Plane. If distances are stated and the spellcaster arrives with no support below his feet(i.e., in mid-air), falling and damage result unless further magical means are employed. All that the wizard wears or carries, subject to a maximum weight equal to 500 pounds of nonliving mater, or half that amount of living matter, is transferred with the spellcaster. Recovery from use of a dimension door spell requires one round.

This spell would be an awesome addition to BGII if you were allowed to use it to the proper description. If it merely makes you invisible, that is a waste of another spell.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 05:53 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:

I haven't checked the description in the game but in AD&D the spell which it is (supposed) to be based on, is quite handy.

Range:0
Components:V (verbal)
Duration:Instantaneous
Casting Time:1 (awesome)
Area of Effect:The caster
Saving Throw:None

By means of a dimension door spell, the wizard instantly transfers himself up to 30 yards distance per level of experience. This special form of teleportation allows for no error, and the wizard always arrives at exactly the spot desired-whether by simply visualizing the area (within spell transfer distance, of course) or by stating direction such as, "300 yards straight downward," or, "upward to the northwest, 45 degree angle, 420 yards." If the wizard arrives in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, he remains trapped in the Astral Plane. If distances are stated and the spellcaster arrives with no support below his feet(i.e., in mid-air), falling and damage result unless further magical means are employed. All that the wizard wears or carries, subject to a maximum weight equal to 500 pounds of nonliving mater, or half that amount of living matter, is transferred with the spellcaster. Recovery from use of a dimension door spell requires one round.

This spell would be an awesome addition to BGII if you were allowed to use it to the proper description. If it merely makes you invisible, that is a waste of another spell.

U cant us ethis in BG2 because it is to hig a level spell- its at least level 10 i think..
These [eople are talking about shadow door, a level 4 spell which creates a door which u appear to walk though, you are then under improved INvisability.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 05:57 PM   #6
DrakenKorin
The Magister

No, dimension door is not a high level spell.

In fact, I just looked it up.

In 2ED its level 4.
DrakenKorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 05:58 PM   #7
DrakenKorin
The Magister

Furthermore, the reason its not implemented is it'd be a logistical nightmare.

For instance... what would 'up 300 yards' mean? What area? It wouldn't work. And if you just confined it to teleporting to sight range, it has no point. Generally, with boots of speed, you can WALK somewhere faster than teleporting on screen.
DrakenKorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 06:09 PM   #8
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

A spell that would be nice would a a group teleport that teleports you to a random place on the map that isn't restricted by a locked door or suchlike. Good spell for when your in a tight corner, or you could end up being in an even worse place. It would also cause 20 damage to the caster due to the power required to cast the spell.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 06:14 PM   #9
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by DrakenKorin:
Furthermore, the reason its not implemented is it'd be a logistical nightmare.

For instance... what would 'up 300 yards' mean? What area? It wouldn't work. And if you just confined it to teleporting to sight range, it has no point. Generally, with boots of speed, you can WALK somewhere faster than teleporting on screen.

It is actually used in Icewind Dale and it works wonders for evading area of effect spells. The casting time difference (usually) allowed the mage to slip away just before the bomb exploded.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 07:17 PM   #10
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

[img]tongue.gif[/img] What the NPCs use in BG2 is more like an instant Teleport Without Error.

... I hate it when they always just run away, seems every NPC in the game can instantly teleport away at a whim to escape me... So very annoying
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote