Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2001, 02:59 PM   #1
Sean Mc.

O.K. my priest is able to learn new spells once they gain levels, (then rest,) but what about the mages? Can they only learn new spells by purchasing (or finding the scrolls,) then writting and resting? If so where can I get the better spells, and why do I often fail when trying to write a spell?

Thanks bunches!!!
Old 01-18-2001, 03:38 PM   #2
Khanar Tor'vel

Correct. Mages only learn spells by purchasing, stealing, or finding spell scrolls. When a mage levels up he usually get's a certain number of new slot(s) per spell level available to use spells in, but you can memorize as many spells as you can from scrolls by buying, stealing, or finding. Some really good spells are available later in the game from some of the baddies. Also check out the Wizard in Kuldahar. He has some stuff available for sale and I think he updates his inventory at least once per game. As for failing to copy a spell to your mage's spell book, here's what I do. Just quicksave your game. Try to memorize the spell and if it fails reload and try again until you get it scribed.
Old 01-18-2001, 04:13 PM   #3
Sean Mc.

Much appreciated....and you never cheated in this game...right?
Old 01-18-2001, 04:26 PM   #4
Khanar Tor'vel

Right.

Although some hardcore people might think the saving reloading deal on Mage spell scribing is cheating. (That's their problem)
Old 01-18-2001, 06:04 PM   #5
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also, remember that the Intelligence of your Mage determines their chance to memorize a spell. You should always play your Mage with an Intelligence of 18, to give you a 85% chance of memorizing a spell, and be able to scribe down anything you come across. About saving/reloading to ensure you memorize spells, well it may be a bit cheesy, but in IWD it's rather necessary, since many spells only have 1 copy in the whole game. Remember that Potions of Intelligence (big purple potions) give you a temporary boost to Intelligence, and greatly improve your chances to memorize the spells. I usually save up a few spells I want to learn, chug a purple potion, and memorize away Much faster than saving/reloading

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 06:19 PM   #6
Sean Mc.

Yeah, used that potion a couple of times since.

So...does anyone know how to use the resurrect cheat?
Old 01-19-2001, 02:01 PM   #7
G.W.

You often find a potion when you find some spells in a dungeon. Blue potions work pretty well. I have a set of intelligence equipment (ring, amulet) that I put on just for spell writing.