Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
A survey of Britons a few months ago found that "At the end of the day..." was their most hated cliche, and I have to agree with their ire. So often this little chestnut is trotted out, with sportsmen and politicians being the main perpetrators of this crime against originality. I can think of a lot of other cliches I'd like to take to with a shredder as well [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

What are some of your most hated banalities that have become so overused they have lost all meaning and only serve to infuriate you? Which ones do you find yourself using despite their hackneyedness?

A couple I hate are "cool, calm and collected", and "with all due respect".
Old 06-27-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

I hate meaningless advertising words... like "Savvy" (see the nineties poll [img]smile.gif[/img] ). if I come across a website, magazine or just anything that uses that abomination I leave it alone.

Also the expression "on a roll"
Old 06-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Donut
Jack Burton

I hate the way so many people start there sentence by "Yes. No!" Which is it??

"It's all part & parcel" What the hell does that mean?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-27-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I don't know, Donut! Well obviously I know what the cliche means, but the phrase is a bit impenetrable.

Another couple of phrases (they're not really cliches I suppose, but equally annoying), are "too much information" and "it's all good" [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

At his last Wimbledon press conference, Lleyton Hewitt used the phrase "you know" 39 times, with an average of 3 "you knows" per question
Old 06-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, Aelia, there goes Mems' favorite saying! But if 'worse comes to worse' ((I've seen worse comes to 'worst' too), he can find another!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

"It's always in the last place you look"
Of course it is [img]tongue.gif[/img]
But recently I have started looking in one place after I have found it just so that saying is proved wrong
Old 06-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #7
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
LOL, shadowhound. i never like "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," because it confused me when young, and later it bugged me because i took all that time figuring it out! lol.
Also, "booty-licious"(sp?) is getting annoying. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

"You know" gets the vote as my least favourite thing people say when their brain hasn't caught up with their mouth.

Also hated are the ever-present "like" (which I admit I sometimes use; Shame!) and "oh my god." OMG should be reserved for truly shocking and disturbing events (residue of Christian upbringing and current belief).

Although these aren't precisely cliches, more like verbal diarrhea-isms that people use when they haven't thought out what they're going to say.

For hated cliches, I'd have to go with "110 percent." Hello math-fools (invariably athletes), you CANNOT GIVE 110%!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #9
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Considering that I have looked back and realise that I use cliches without knowing it, people, get over it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But, if I had to pick one, I would go with "I swear". Used way too many times by people and they probably end up going to hell in the process

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
For hated cliches, I'd have to go with "110 percent." Hello math-fools (invariably athletes), you CANNOT GIVE 110%!
Sure they can, that's why people spontaneously combust [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 12:45 AM   #10
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
"Get over it" is one I particularly hate, too, Gangrell - thanks for reminding me! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . Also in a similar vein "too much time on their hands" I also feel violently towards, not least because it's so patronising and arrogant [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

Oh, I agree with "Oh my God", Aerich - you hear it especially on reality TV shows - they seem to say it every time someone takes a breath! Very annoying.