Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2001, 10:03 PM   #31
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerise:
OK quick question .....

How many of the folk here played table top D&D .... or still do *wide smile*

I have for 16 years, still do, and will for the rest of my life. I love it!

Old 10-18-2001, 11:41 PM   #32
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've played for about 2 years - much fun - I never thought I would get into a board game without the board, as it was described to me. The group makes the game. The DM I'm playing with is the best - he's played for 20+ years and he doesn't really use a manual - you know you are in trouble when he goes to a Monster Manual or DM Guide - he's about to do something REALLY hard/mean. But that just makes it more fun. Currently playing once a month in a 2nd edition Skills and Powers Group.

BK
Old 10-19-2001, 12:24 AM   #33
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Quote:
OK quick question .....

Been playing AD&D( first and second edition and second, though I think first edition is by far the best!) since around 1982, In fact the name that I use "Bullvye" is based on a character that I've been playing for almost 20 years! ( Sh*@t am I getting old!)
Old 10-19-2001, 12:33 AM   #34
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
OK quick question .....

I played table top D&D starting all the way back in 1981 and 1982, back during 1st edition rules (the one with the Player's Handbook with the huge demon idol on it)...before Forgotten Realms, before Dragonlance...back when you MADE your own worlds and campaigns.

MAN that was some fun times back then!

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-19-2001, 04:33 AM   #35
Argus
The Magister

I still get together once a year with three friends of mine for a week in order to continue the campaigns we've been running since 91. Its always interesting how after the first hour everyone has fallen right back into their characters.

Just this last time we upgraded our 1st edition characters to 3rd edition. Never liked 2nd edition enough to bother with an upgrade...we'll see how 3rd edition goes.

I also still play the old PnP game Lords of Creation which was put out by Avalon Hill.
Old 10-19-2001, 04:44 AM   #36
Moiraine
Anubis

I discovered AD&D PnP at 22, when I met my then-BF-now-husband, he introduced me to his gang of D&D freaks, we played with two fantastic DMs. My very first character was a Gnome Illusionist/Thief named Sylviane.

We went on playing once every week for several years, even after we got our diplomas and started working, got married, had our first kid. These were the days ! Average kids go to sleep hearing lullabies, mine got to sleep at the sounds of both his parents whacking trolls !

Er, I mean, even when hubbie and me got married - unfortunately, both DMs met some woman from the outside world, got married, then stopped DMing at the demand of their wife ...

So last year, as our son was 9, we decided to go on with playing again in family, hubbie is the DM, both my son and me play two characters. Now my kid is a total AD&D freak !

I may add that, having played AD&D 1st edition (Advanced rules) then 2nd then starting again last year with 3rd edition, I very much enjoy the new 3rd edition system. I feel most of the drawbacks in the previous edition has been solved : a Cleric is no longer a 'cure bag', a small level Wizard can do more than throw his unique spell and wait for hours, the system of skills allows to personalize the characters, the system of feats that allows to find a new interest at every new level, ...

May I add, Sir Tainly, Ramon, Bili and Wolfie will come here soon soon, and Wolfie prepared for us a AD&D 3rd edition PnP adventure ! For that occasion, I unearthed Sylviane, I'll play the mischievous little Gnomette again.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-19-2001, 05:13 AM   #37
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Does anyone still play 2nd ed, or has everyone either "converted" to 3rd ed or is still playing 1st ed?
Old 10-19-2001, 08:10 AM   #38
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I have Played D&D in one incarnation or another since 1981. I have to say I enjoy 3E more than any version. Mostly for the reasons Moiraine listed. I also play with a great DM. He has written for TSR before they became Wizards of the Coast (WotC) and Hasbro bought them. We also got to playtest the 3E rulesand give our input on what we liked and what we didn't. The finished product is wonderful in my opinion.

If you have the Shinning South supplement for the Forgotten Realms (2nd Ed.),
my 20th level Necromancer, Random the Mad is in there as an NPC.
As well as the Scintillating Sphere spell and the Girdle of Priestly Might.
Both the spell and Girdle were designed by me for the "Basement".
The spell and the Girdle, now a belt, are in 3E. The Forgotten Realms book and Magic of Fearun. I also know that the Scintillating Sphere is in the Novel
"Murder in Halruaa". I am really jazzed about that.

If any of you get a chance to go to a convention I would try it out. They can be a real blast. You might also be able to locate folks through your local Hobby Stores or if you want through the RPGA (Role Playing Gamers Association) the site is linked through Wizards of the Coast. Or...

http://www.wizards.com/rpga/rpga_file_1.asp?rx20000314a

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.