Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hi everyone,

It seems like this forum is sloooowing dowwwwn. I'm interested in finding out how many people are actually still playing IWD and/or checking into the message boards.

I'm one, having bought the game in Dec 2003, after exams. As I (supposedly) have so little time to play games, I tend to pick a well-paced (read: not first-person shooter) combat game with replay value and play it until I know all the subtleties; don't even *ask* me how long I played Heroes of Might and Magic III =) I'm a sucker for tactical games. If I want a fantastic story I usually read a book (Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks and Steven Brust, anyone?)

I manage to fit in about 5-10 hours a week of late-night IWD, between work, hockey playoffs (sadly now over) and trying to force my poor atrophied body back into respectable physical condition.

So, all of you people hiding from the sunshine, now's the time to speak up and say hello. I'd really like to get some discussions going on clever tactics and game peculiarities (realizing that quite a few of the old posts have great strategies on them). Cheerio!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've still got a multiplay going but it's been on hiatus for a few months. I've played it through in single game, then as a multiplay once already and am playing IWD2 as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Nutman
Dungeon Master

Gidday,

I finally got the game and HoW last year and have slowly been working my way thru it - hve finished ToTL and am playing HoW at the moment when I have time.

cheers
Nutman
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Spiff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I picked up the combo pack (iwd, HoW, iwd2) a long time ago and just recently finished iwd2. So I started playing that again on hof and decided to start iwd at the same time.
It's a bit odd getting used to the 2nd edition rules in iwd though. All the multi- and dual-classing rules are totally different.
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
ashsays
Elite Waterdeep Guard

3 years playing IWD now. I tried NWN but my PC isn't robust enough, so... back to IWD until I get a better PC.
ashsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
masteraleph
Elminster

Not really playing it. But I am playing the NEJ mod for BG2, which puts large portions of IWD into BG2.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Still playing IWD...had major setback with my pc so its taking a little longer to finally finish the game.
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

I guess the one week sample is over. But we've had quite a few posts on other threads in that time, showing experienced players, middle-range players, and new players still getting their feet wet. It's nice to know that the game is still somewhat popular and has replay value for a lot of people.

IMHO, this is one of the better games out there. It glues you to the chair for "just one more battle" on your first time through, and allows for more variation and innovation when replayed. It's tactically challenging, yet not so complex that you can't play just half an hour at a time.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:38 AM   #9
Cienden
Manshoon

I haven't played it about a year, but I was working on IWD2 recently. The original IWD got me into DnD games. I had read R.A. Salvatore's IWD Trilogy, and it opened the door to DnD fantasy gaming for me. Soon after reading the books, I saw there was a game coming out so I picked it up when it was released. Found out it wasn't much like the book. Got frustrated and put it away for a couple months. Tried it again, loved it, and here I am. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Probably the reason it's my favorite RPG is mainly how wonderfully everything meshed together in that game. The art was hands down the best I think. Even better than BG2 and ToB. There was just something so natural looking about it, and the spell effects were gorgeous and fit in with everything. In fact, I was actually dissapointed with BG2 on that count when I finally got around to buying that game. There were some spells I used all the time in IWD, and when I got to BG2, I was like...um...that didn't look normal like they did in IWD! I like IWD2's interface better, but IWD is the BEST.

[ 06-19-2004, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Cienden ]
Old 06-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I think IWD can`t compare to BG 2. I like BG 2 more becuase it has more quests.

Overall it (IWD) is a good game and I enjoy playing it.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote