Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Default Headphones

As some may remember I bought a guitar electric with an amp and it's currently pissing my parents off when I get in from work and fancy practising. I need some headphones.

They've got, I think it's called a 3mm socket for headphones, but I know you can get a converter...I just want some decent headphones with (either wireless or longish cable) for not that much money please any recommends, looking in electrical stores hasn't been much help *sigh*
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Headphones

I have a set of Koss "over the ear" 'phones that I'll use late at night. I have to use an adapter for them, but they work rather well.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Someone on the EDrumming forum asked that question a while ago. Responses are in the link, along with a suggestion for www.headphone.com, which apparently offers comparisons of different headphones.

As for price... check your budget. As someone on the forum said, these aren't the same things you'd plug into your ipod...

WRT the jack, there are pretty much two options - 1/4 inch and the small one I have a couple of converters between the two... biggest issue is whether it's a TS (tip-sleeve) or TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) adaptor. TRS supports stereo, where TS supports mono. That may or may not be an issue... yet...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Headphones, 9 times out of ten, are a get what you pay for kind of situation. It depends how serious you are with wanting a great sound. Try and stick with well known brands in all fairness (I'd recommend Sennheiser or Behringer - You can't go wrong with them).

I picked up a pair of Sennheiser ones for about 30 quid from a shop near me - great sound quality but the noise cancellation wasn't the best. Still, 30 quid. I VERY nearly bought a pair from the apple store in london for 140 quid about 6 months ago. They were amazing. Music was just brilliant.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

Aside from quality...check out how long the cord of it is.

If you use a 10 foot guitar cable, you know the range of that, right? Well picture that needing to attach to your head. You may not need 10, but you certainly need more than 6, lest you be attached very close to your amp, and worst of all - pull it out with your head motions, blessing your house at 3 am with your distorted and LOUD G chord lol.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL! Thanks, Lucern... I just imagined what would happen if you pulled out the cord at 3AM...

Reminds me of when I decided to see if I could play Inna-godda-da-vida after I'd had a drink or two... or more. Acoustic drums, me with headphones, 2AM...

Dad was not pleased....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucern View Post
Aside from quality...check out how long the cord of it is.

If you use a 10 foot guitar cable, you know the range of that, right? Well picture that needing to attach to your head. You may not need 10, but you certainly need more than 6, lest you be attached very close to your amp, and worst of all - pull it out with your head motions, blessing your house at 3 am with your distorted and LOUD G chord lol.

Yes, this is not pretty. I've had it happen to me before. My Koss set has a 10 foot cord, so I have room to walk around a bit. Another thing to watch, speaking of loud G chords, is the jack on the amp. Mine has two, one for total headphone immersion, and with the other, the cabinet is still voiced...Head phones won't help much then.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote