Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #41
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I forgot about Barbwire. What about Minna from League of Amazing gentlemen? She held her own fairly well eventhoughthe movie was fairly bad. Lets not forget about the girl( can't remeber the name) from Hellboy. She held her own pretty well.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #42
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion
While i agree with Pirate queen, We all know it comes back to the dollars; and the Guy saves poor helpless (but HOT) girl is just too well proven a formula - no one wants to seriously invest in a movie with a strong Female hero lead and take a risk, when they could spend the same money on yet another Male dominated movie and be WAY more assured of making money.

I dont really follow the whole superhero thing (or comics) so cnat comment on that.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #43
The Pirate Queen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey Mozenwrathe, I heard there was a rumor about Tom Felton (the kid who plays Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies) playing Quicksilver in an upcoming movie. I'm not sure it it's supposed to be in another X-Men, or in the Magneto movie. I don't even know if it's true or not, but hey, it's a rumor.

This thread is showing me how ignorant of comic book heroines I really am. *lol* Half of the chicks ya'll are mentioning never even occured to me. *is stoopid*
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #44
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Hey, she'll lick a carpet too, ya' know...at least, she does in my dreams...
You're a weird fella Robert. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Maybe, but every once in a while, I have fun....
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #45
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pirate Queen:
(Heh... sorry for the swear there. I gots a mouth like a sailor sometimes.)

That's exactly what I mean. There's this rather scary double standard that seems to permiate our phyche as a whole. I never saw The Wedding Crashers, but isn't Vince Vahn's charecter raped like, twice? And that's supposed to be funny? It's downright scary.
I thought I was the ONLY PERSON who cared about that! I happened to be in the theatre with people I knew only kinda well, and it was fairly late... Otherwise I would have walked out on it and demanded my money back.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:55 AM   #46
theGrimm
Manshoon

Hey, if it's funny, it can't be wrong can it?

I'll be the first person to admit that my sense of humour is full of double standards. But I like to think I know better, and am very careful to limit my jokes to audiences that know better. (I don't make sexist jokes around sexists or around people who are sensitive about sexism...)

Sadly, movie theatres are not guaranteed to be filled with people who know better, and it's sad to see poor standards "normalised" in the name of humour.

Even if they make a movie with a strong female lead, why does the female lead always have to be attractive, while the male lead can be ugly as all heck? It's a subtle message that still attaches the value of a female character to her looks.

Thank goodness for Shrek (the movie, not the male lead).
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #47
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by toot033:
I forgot about Barbwire. What about Minna from League of Amazing gentlemen? She held her own fairly well eventhoughthe movie was fairly bad. Lets not forget about the girl( can't remeber the name) from Hellboy. She held her own pretty well.
Barb Wire - movie, blah (but with REALLY HOT LEAD). Comic book? Apparently amazing.

Mina Harker (From The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen) - movie, not that bad. Please note, in the original comic book, two of those characters do not exist (I won't tell you which ones) and Mina Harker leads the group. Reason for the changes: American market (For the two extra characters) and who'd believe Sean Connery would be taking orders from ANY woman who wasn't an angel with a divine sword pointed at his ass at all times!

Liz Sherman (from Hellboy, the pyrotechnic) - movie, okay. Comic book? Don't really know, but apparently she's even more active along side our boy Hellboy in the comic book sequence.

Betty Ross (female love interest in The Incredible Hulk) - movie, was she even there?!? comic book, you should SEE the stuff she's had to put up with! AND she still loves Robert Bruce Banner's ass. (Bruce is the middle name and that is what he goes with.)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #48
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
...Minna from League of Amazing gentlemen?..
I thought the movie was kinda corny as well. I also thought she spent half of it copping flak from Sean Connery for the fact that she was a girl...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #49
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
quote:
...Minna from League of Amazing gentlemen?..
I thought the movie was kinda corny as well. I also thought she spent half of it copping flak from Sean Connery for the fact that she was a girl... [/QUOTE]Despite the fact that she could rip his throat out for a mid afternoon snack. However, the flaw with Mina in the movie, any one else catch this? She sure spent a lot of time out in the sun, for a vampire.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #50
Amphetamine Machine
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Movie producers are feeding a niche market. Not many women seem to be interested in comic books, so comic book movies are mainly filled with superheroes, not superheroines.
FFFFFF">
DSlaytern] 24hrs has passed, hiding the signature.

[ 07-15-2006, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Amphetamine Machine is offline   Reply With Quote