Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 04:42 PM   #61
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
But it's closer to Scotland than London, and what's this about not doing as we did in the past? Do you mean that the Vikings should not once again inspire terror in the rest of Europe? We were born to rule this weak continent, and now that we have made advances in technology, we can rule America and Asia too!
Leave it be. Sweden has, what, 8 million inhabitants? Norway and Denmark don't have much more. You would be squished by mere mass alone (Germany has 80 million inhabitants, France has 60 million I THINK)

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 08-30-2001, 04:43 PM   #62
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I don't really think it was much different back then, not that there were 80 million germans back then, but that they were so many more than us, we were merely stronger, smarter and we had better ships.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:45 PM   #63
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Neb, I wouldn't go ranting too loudly. For all their tenacity in combat the Norse were assimilated into the lands they took. The Normans spoke French and ended up merging with the Saxons in England. The Danes merged with the Angles of Southern Scotland and Northern England, and were actually akin to them anyhow. The Angles and Jutes were from Southern Denmark!

The Swedish Vangarians, or Rus (hence Russians) as the Slavics called them soon assimilated into the horde of Slavs they briefly ruled.

The Norwegians who founded Dubin ended up as Irish as the Celts.

All in all Europe is a mixed bag anyhow. Teutonic, Latin, Finn and Greek have all mixed with the Turkic, Celtic and Basque.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-30-2001, 04:45 PM   #64
Kaz

Quote:
I don't really think it was much different back then, not that there were 80 million germans back then, but that they were so many more than us, we were merely stronger, smarter and we had better ships.
back WHEN anyway? I'm not exactly clear on this point.

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 08-30-2001, 04:46 PM   #65
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
But it's closer to Scotland than London, and what's this about not doing as we did in the past? Do you mean that the Vikings should not once again inspire terror in the rest of Europe? We were born to rule this weak continent, and now that we have made advances in technology, we can rule America and Asia too!
Oh, OK I looked it up and you're right, York is nearer Scotland than London. That surprises me, 'cos it takes less than 2 hours by rail from London to York! I stand corrected

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-30-2001, 04:50 PM   #66
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

All in all Europe is a mixed bag anyhow. Teutonic, Latin, Finn and Greek have all mixed with the Turkic, Celtic and Basque.

Quite right - certainly in England it was more like - come to York, do a bit of trading, some people settle there and intermarry with the locals.

And in terms of timescale, we're talking just over 1000 years ago.

(post edited because my original sounded a bit arsy which was not my intention)
------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old 08-30-2001, 04:52 PM   #67
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Neb. What are you doing? Leave it be bro. Violent invasion and killing is not something to be proud about. Why do you think they stopped? Christianity replaced the nihlistic Scandinavian religion which told that at the end of time, Loki and the evil hordes killed off the heros in Vallhalla. The destruction was a weakness not a strength. Where is the glory in destroying Monasterys? Houses of non-aggressive Irish, and places of knowledge, peace and healing?

Be glad that forgiveness comes with time brother.

Besides as I said, many Europeans can claim kinship with the Scandinavians. End your rant Neb, less you shame yourself further.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-30-2001, 04:54 PM   #68
Neb
Account deleted by Request

In fact, the vikings were not as bloodthirsty and violent as my posts might have suggested, in fact, there was an equal number of traders and raiders, if there weren't more traders.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:54 PM   #69
Kaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Neb. What are you doing? Leave it be bro. Violent invasion and killing is not something to be proud about. Why do you think they stopped? Christianity replaced the nihlistic Scandinavian religion which told that at the end of time, Loki and the evil hordes killed off the heros in Vallhalla. The destruction was a weakness not a strength. Where is the glory in destroying Monasterys? Houses of non-aggressive Irish, and places of knowledge, peace and healing?

Be glad that forgiveness comes with time brother.

Besides as I said, many Europeans can claim kinship with the Scandinavians. End your rant Neb, less you shame yourself further.
About what I meant, although I couldn't say it as well.

------------------

I am the great Kazara
Old 08-30-2001, 08:32 PM   #70
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Note: You are thinking of Bavarians. Your average German from, for instance, Schleswig - Holstein or Mecklenburg- Vorpommern will, even if he drinks more beer and eats more pretzels than your average American, not so much that it is very remarkable. Pretzels come from Bavaria, I'm not sure about beer.

I am part German let me tell you they drink ALOT of beer..

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way to....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas