Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 10:24 PM   #1
LiquidBronze
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i have a party of three all level 12
and i want to try the expnasion part
but can i ever get back to kuldahar from the expansion???

thnaks
LiquidBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 01:02 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
When you start a new game with the expansion, there will be 2 modes available:
1) HOW only (expansion only, when it finishes, the game ends)
2) Full game (IWD and HOW areas will be accessible, when you finish HOW you go back to the house where you met the barbarian in Kuldahar)
In your case, you will probably pick the full game, since your party is lvl 12, HOW area will be accessible to you immediately as soon as you meet the barbarian in Kuldahar.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 07:49 PM   #3
Gaelic
Elminster

When the HoW game ends in an expansion ony game, is the party automatically exported with the new xp from beating the game?

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
When the HoW game ends in an expansion ony game, is the party automatically exported with the new xp from beating the game?

Yes. The party is exported -- with their final experience total.

Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 02:38 PM   #5
Axterix
Manshoon

If you are mid-game and you go to visit the barbarians, then after you defeat HoW your characters are returned to Kuldahar to resume their adventures there. There are also a few chances to leave mid-HoW, but I'm not sure that you can then return to Lonelywood if you choose to do that.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 04:09 PM   #6
Gaelic
Elminster

Outstanding!

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 03:40 PM   #7
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

What's all this talk abouty returning to Kuldahur? Maybe it's just me, but when i played IWD, they exported my characters BEFORE the final battle. And when the battle was over, so was the game! Then it was necessary to go back to the start screen and choose the "expansion only" game. At this point, a message stated that sinnce they detected my end of game autosave, they's import those characters (minus the exp i should have had from Belhifet). HoW plays normally then; but when it's over, it's also over. (it also said it was exporting characters before the final battle, but these exports i did not locate).
So what i want to know is; what's all this business about being able to go back to Kuldahur? I say, you can not return once you've gone to HoW. Because HoW is an entirely different module; appart from IWD.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 03:56 PM   #8
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Good points Leafy.

I guess I just assumed that the experience for the final battle would be given (sorry if I was misleading, I just didn't know any other way it could be done).

If you go through a full game of IWD and enter the cabin to speak with the Hrothgar (or whatever the Barbarian Shaman's name is -- I'm terrible with names) you are then "windwalked" to HOW. After completing the first leg of the quest (identifying who the troublemaker is, you can enter a dialogue with Hrothgar and ask to return to Kuldahar.

Later you should be able to go back to the Shaman and tell him you are willing to help solve the problem you originally identified. After that you should be sent back to Kuldahar to finish your main quest in IWD.

When I went through HOW, my game exported the characters right at the final battle (I thought it was after the battle, but I guess it was just before). In browsing my character folders, there are characters listed as HOW1 and HOW2 and so on. These are the characters that were exported. I don't know if these files are overwritten the second time through or what.

Anyway, that's all I know.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:56 PM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Good points Leafy.

I guess I just assumed that the experience for the final battle would be given (sorry if I was misleading, I just didn't know any other way it could be done).

If you go through a full game of IWD and enter the cabin to speak with the Hrothgar (or whatever the Barbarian Shaman's name is -- I'm terrible with names) you are then "windwalked" to HOW. After completing the first leg of the quest (identifying who the troublemaker is, you can enter a dialogue with Hrothgar and ask to return to Kuldahar.

Later you should be able to go back to the Shaman and tell him you are willing to help solve the problem you originally identified. After that you should be sent back to Kuldahar to finish your main quest in IWD.

When I went through HOW, my game exported the characters right at the final battle (I thought it was after the battle, but I guess it was just before). In browsing my character folders, there are characters listed as HOW1 and HOW2 and so on. These are the characters that were exported. I don't know if these files are overwritten the second time through or what.

Anyway, that's all I know.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-22-2001, 04:39 PM   #10
Axterix
Manshoon

As Father Bronze said... in a full game, in the hut in Kuldahar that was previously locked (if you didn't have HoW), sits Hjoldar. You talk to him and assuming your party is level 9+, you can go off to help in Lonelywood. Get dropped off there. Clobber your way through it. And after the final fight, he brings you back to Kuldahar to finish your quest there. That's the full game option.

So, once you fight Polquin in Lower Dorn's, it is too late to go to HoW, but anytime after you've left the starting town to before you've returned to it, assuming you meet the level requirements, you can take off to deal with the HoW.

As for the exported characters, IWD1-6 are the auto-exported party members from the final IWD fight. HOW1-6 are the auto-exported party members from the HoW fight. Nice advantage of playing the full game is your characters actually get to keep the xp from defeating HoW.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote