Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2001, 08:11 PM   #1
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Outdoor area of Wyrm's Tooth map. through exit at NW of map into small exterior map. At N of this sub-map is exit to World map, and a locked gate to NE of map. There is a door to the West. And this West door is the one I'm having problems with. Game crashes partway through load with message that reads:

An Assertion failed in Infinity.cpp at line number 1763. Programmer says: Demand for WED file failed.

Anyone know how to fix this? I have installed the patch but it doesn't help!
Any advice welcome

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:55 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I remember having a similar problem with Baldur's Gate. What I had to do was go in and manually delete the files in the cache folder. It was a long time ago, but I think that fixed the error. If that doesn't do it, you might save your save games to a different directory (or a floppy disk) and reinstall -- although that seems a bit drastic.

Good luck!

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 11:34 PM   #3
Fljotsdale

Um. Not sure I know how to do that... Probably try the save & reinstall option.. Sigh! Thanks for the advice!

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-03-2001, 02:13 PM   #4
Fljotsdale

I've had a mooch in the cache folder, but I don't actually know what I am looking for or what to do with it anyway. I have also removed and reloaded the game, keeping the saved games, but it still crashes at that point. Do I NEED anything in that area? Or is it just a side issue? Heeeelp!

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-04-2001, 07:13 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I've had a mooch in the cache folder, but I don't actually know what I am looking for or what to do with it anyway. I have also removed and reloaded the game, keeping the saved games, but it still crashes at that point. Do I NEED anything in that area? Or is it just a side issue? Heeeelp!

You can delete everything in the Cachefolder of the game.

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 11:16 PM   #6
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

I have that exact problem. In fact, it has prevented me from EVER finishing Icewind Dale. I have even tried it on two, totally different systems with the same results.

I even formatted my hard drive, put a minimum install of win 98, and only installed Icewind Dale. I started a new game to insure that it wasn't a corrupted save game. Same ■■■■■■■ thing.

Removed cache and override folders, same thing.

Interplay/Bio-Ware support was useless, suggesting I re-install, remove cache, etc. Until they just stopped responding to my emails.

Let me ask you, did you by chance order your copy from dragon.ca?
Xod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 04:33 AM   #7
Fljotsdale

Damnation! No, Xod, I just saw in in a shop and bought it.
I have started a new game (like you!) and have now installed HOW. Hope that will fix it!
Thanks for the info

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-13-2001, 10:43 PM   #8
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I am not sure I have ever gone through that area...I will check and see what happens. I'll let you know.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 05:46 AM   #9
Fljotsdale

Thanks, Wulfere! I look forward to that.

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-14-2001, 07:29 AM   #10
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Spoiler......
.Ok...Well I've tried all the exits in the outdoor area of Wyrm's Tooth.
The sub map you are talking about is accessed through the passage North East
of the temple with the frozen exhibits. This sub-map has three cave entrances and one trail that leads to the world map. The northern cave leads to the interior of Wrym's Tooth. The eastern cave leads into the last levels of Dorn's Deep and the western door leads back to the exterior of Wyrm's Tooth. I could find no locked gate anyplace. Unless you are talking about the gate inside of the temple. The circular room with a locked portcullis and two doors on either side of this. There are three doors in the bottom of this room but all lead out to the exterior map of Wyrm's Tooth. Have you taken or cheated the Frost Salamanders leader out of his key and freed the slaves? Have you fought the Frost Giants across the bridge? Unfortunately I have had no trouble with any of these areas in the game. Have you installed the HoW patch as well? Wish I could be more help.

------------------
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote