Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2001, 01:34 AM   #1
Stormhammer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've already beaten the game; now, everytime I try to play another
game, the game will crash at some point. I'll try clicking on
something, and for no reason, the pointer/cursor will disappear
and the system will lock up. Sometimes, the crash will bring me
to the desktop and lockup (!). Sometimes, I will get a fatal
exception error--then the screen will return and lockup.
I've seen others complain about game crashes--is this problem
similar to yours? Is this a Direct X problem (the Interplay site
didn't seem to answer these questions)? I have a very fast system
with top of the line graphics and sound cards.
Perplexed . . .
Stormhammer the mighty
Stormhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 03:43 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Don't know if I can help, but what version of Direct-X are you using?

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 05:36 AM   #3
Stormhammer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I believe the version I am using is 7.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:01 AM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

My game always crashes at the same place in Wyrm's Tooth. I am now playing again after installing HOW, and if it STILL crashes I'm gonna demand my money back from Black Isle! GRRRRR!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 08:14 AM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I know that when I installed BG2 for a friend on his system (a very fast one), we set the configurations to the speed of his processor 700mhz+ and he had a quite a few problems. When we moved the processor speed back down to average, the game ran almost flawlessly.

I run an Athalon 700mhz with 160mb ram and a 32mb video card. My system would qualify as the high end on the IWD configuration menu. I have all of the settings set at average and I've never had any problems.

If you back down the system performance specifications in the IWD configuration program (start, Programs, Black Isle, IWD, IWD Configuration) you might have better results.

Sorry I didn't remember this earlier for those of you who've "tried everything."

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 12:56 PM   #6
Stormhammer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow--I appreciate all your responses and advice. I never adjusted or
raised the game specs since I installed the game. I assume that they
are at an average setting,but I will attempt to lower them a few
notches anyway. BUMMER.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:21 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I know that when I installed BG2 for a friend on his system (a very fast one), we set the configurations to the speed of his processor 700mhz+ and he had a quite a few problems. When we moved the processor speed back down to average, the game ran almost flawlessly.

I run an Athalon 700mhz with 160mb ram and a 32mb video card. My system would qualify as the high end on the IWD configuration menu. I have all of the settings set at average and I've never had any problems.

If you back down the system performance specifications in the IWD configuration program (start, Programs, Black Isle, IWD, IWD Configuration) you might have better results.

Sorry I didn't remember this earlier for those of you who've "tried everything."

Hmm thats something I haven´t tried, but since they have admitted that some AMD machines are having trouble with IWD and BG2 this might do the trick!!

Thanks, will try this this evening!!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 04:06 PM   #8
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

crashes? remove the override folder, it may have gotten full

I have an AMD 550 with 290mb of ram.. and i have problems with major lag times. i cast a fire ball, and i see the first and last frames of the explosion; very lame. i bought a voodoo 4500 once to see if it would help the game at all; but i saw NO improvement whatsoever (quake, on the other hand, ran like a dream)
I think the interplay engine might have issues. but if you just noticed this stuff crashing after having played thru few times, it may be the override folder. Also, if you've messed with the characters thru an editor, or exporting and importing a lot of items; you may create some errors in the character files.
If the game habitually crashes in the same spot; try loading and importing fresh new characters and run them to the crash spot to see if it still crashes. if not, strip down your current character's items, import and see if that helps?

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 05-16-2001).]
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 07:23 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Leafy:
crashes? remove the override folder, it may have gotten full

I have an AMD 550 with 290mb of ram.. and i have problems with major lag times. i cast a fire ball, and i see the first and last frames of the explosion; very lame. i bought a voodoo 4500 once to see if it would help the game at all; but i saw NO improvement whatsoever (quake, on the other hand, ran like a dream)
I think the interplay engine might have issues. but if you just noticed this stuff crashing after having played thru few times, it may be the override folder. Also, if you've messed with the characters thru an editor, or exporting and importing a lot of items; you may create some errors in the character files.
If the game habitually crashes in the same spot; try loading and importing fresh new characters and run them to the crash spot to see if it still crashes. if not, strip down your current character's items, import and see if that helps?

[This message has been edited by Leafy (edited 05-16-2001).]
Thanks, will try that next time install it. Will try some things out in BG2 first

------------------

Yawning lazywolf..
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote