Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2001, 04:38 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

A bomb missed a dam and killed 128 people over in afganistan. Why are bombs being dropped on dams anyway? Is it part of a great scheme to flood the bad guys out of their caves? Never mind a dam's importance to irrigation and flood control, two things a country stricken with famine will need if it ever hopes to become self-sufficient. I now know with-out a doubt that we are harming way more than terrorists in Afganistan.

Futility, once sublime, now begins to grow bold.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:34 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
A bomb missed a dam and killed 128 people over in afganistan. Why are bombs being dropped on dams anyway? Is it part of a great scheme to flood the bad guys out of their caves? Never mind a dam's importance to irrigation and flood control, two things a country stricken with famine will need if it ever hopes to become self-sufficient. I now know with-out a doubt that we are harming way more than terrorists in Afganistan.

Futility, once sublime, now begins to grow bold.

Interesting. It wouldn't have anything to do with the threat on the Hoover Dam would it? If that had gone, Las Vegas and America would have been giving a kick in the guts.

Not saying it's good, but that it's war. The unspeakable happens in war. The lights go out.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 11:32 PM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Interesting. It wouldn't have anything to do with the threat on the Hoover Dam would it? If that had gone, Las Vegas and America would have been giving a kick in the guts.

Not saying it's good, but that it's war. The unspeakable happens in war. The lights go out.

And for America it could have been handled. They have the resources and funds. The Afghanis would have starved and died because they had other options than that dam. America might have got a kick in the guts but Afghan would have got a limb cut off.
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 03:47 AM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Hamlet Overlord:

And for America it could have been handled. They have the resources and funds. The Afghanis would have starved and died because they had other options than that dam. America might have got a kick in the guts but Afghan would have got a limb cut off.

Azure, I do believe Las Vegas would flood quickly if the Hoover Dam was blown up. It was heavily guarded in WWII and was again when I drove over it last month. Millions would die would they not?

What about the power shortages? Would not people die during that?

Cutting off a limb can be the same as a kick in the gut: Dying from massive blood loss.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 04:38 AM   #5
Zbyszek

As Yorick mentioned, dams are not bombed to flood Talibans (interesting idea!) but to kill thier power supply. If our aim is not to kill all people in Afghanistan we have to destroy their infrastructure, command centers, etc...
Old 11-12-2001, 06:51 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Zbyszek:
As Yorick mentioned, dams are not bombed to flood Talibans (interesting idea!) but to kill thier power supply. If our aim is not to kill all people in Afghanistan we have to destroy their infrastructure, command centers, etc...

Perhaps I failed to be as sarcastic as I meant to be regarding flooding the terrorists.

Hell why not destroy thier infrastructure, ther are already starving so future resources are a mute point if their all dead.... We did those 128 a favor, now they dont hafta starve anymore...
Old 11-12-2001, 06:58 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:

Perhaps I failed to be as sarcastic as I meant to be regarding flooding the terrorists.

Hell why not destroy thier infrastructure, ther are already starving so future resources are a mute point if their all dead.... We did those 128 a favor, now they dont hafta starve anymore...

They were starving before this started, not because of US, but because their government doesn't care about them.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:06 PM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

They were starving before this started, not because of US, but because their government doesn't care about them.

Might I mention that I think Ronn has pointed something significant here?
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 09:57 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

That is common knowledge.

The real issue is the additional effects. Take a big problem and then do a whole bunch to make it an even way bigger problem. Anytime 2 million starving becomes 5-7 million and the direct cause is clear, then I cant justify that under any circumstances and I would love to hear someone try.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:19 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:

That is common knowledge.

The real issue is the additional effects. Take a big problem and then do a whole bunch to make it an even way bigger problem. Anytime 2 million starving becomes 5-7 million and the direct cause is clear, then I cant justify that under any circumstances and I would love to hear someone try.

The greater good.

The direct cause is clear. A government who defends a murderous fanatic to the detriment of those it should be protecting.

Kabul has been liberated, and Kandahar is soon to follow. Then more people can be fed than ever before. War cannot be conducted without harming innocents.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]