Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Pizza tastes better in the U.S. because it's supremely unhealthier than anything cooked in the far east or in traditional Italy. Firstly, they often cook pizzas deep-pan style in America, making the crust thick and chewy, and ofen they'll stuff that with melted cheese or something similar. Also, the toppings are thicker, unhealthier, and laden with dense layers of all kinds of chemical artery-atrocities. So while it may taste better, I don't think it's a good thing - I'm sure people's waistlines agree with me.
[img]graemlins/agree.gif[/img]

I actually prefer the taste of pizzeria pizzas (thin crust, gourmet), than the thick-crusted, fattening pizzas which are served at Pizza Hut, Dominoes etc. They're far too oily and are always topped off with a ludicrous amount of cheese.

[img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

[ 10-05-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 10-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #12
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
I actually prefer the taste of pizzeria pizzas (thin crust, gourmet), than the thick-crusted, fattening pizzas which are served at Pizza Hut, Dominoes etc. They're far too oily and are always topped off with a ludicrous amount of cheese.

Really? I think they skimp on the cheese, both in quantity and in quality. They mix in the more fattening cheeses (cheddar, etc.) instead of using straight lower-fat Mozzarella cheeses. At least they do that here (may be different elsewhere).

Places like Pizza Hut, etc. are essentially the fast food equivalent of pizza. Fat laden, relatively poor quality, and too expensive for what you get. The only thing close to economical is the buffet (all you can eat of grease-cooked pizza? great...). I am originally from New Jersey, and miss the really good New York pizzas. They flour the dough, and cook in the flat ovens. Healthier and better tasting. I finally found a place here in San Antonio, TX that has such pizzas (people from New Jersey who opened a place here), but they are way overpriced (close to $15.00 American for a large one topping).

What makes it worse is that everyone down here thinks that the "fast food" pizza places are the best pizzas on the planet. They regularly vote Pizza Hut as the best pizza place in town in the surveys. [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 10-05-2003, 09:49 PM   #13
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Amen!

I think the pizza hut's and new york pizza's herein holland are gross! The original italian pizza's that you can buy here are the best!
WHHAAATTT?? pizza hut is my favorite!! (in the philippines anyway). its different since ever since i moved here to australia, the pizza hut here is not as good as the philippines..

oh yeah, there are some nice italian pizza places.. mmm...

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-06-2003, 03:44 AM   #14
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

C'mon, everyone knows the best pizza is in Chicago
Old 10-06-2003, 04:41 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

When I order pizza, it's almost always Italian-style pizza from a very good local place. But yesterday my boyfriend and I shared an American-style pizza for the first time in ages and I HATED it! Yuck. It was gross, fatty, greasy and has nothing to do with the original pizzas. I can't believe I used to like them as much as Italian pizzas. No Pizza Hut, Dominos, New York Pizza etc for me anymore...

Oh, and I have eaten pizza in Italy too - it's lovely, but there are restaurants where I live that manage to approximate them to the point where they're equally good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 04:56 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Zartan

I enhance the flavor of my red sauce by sauting garlic and onions in olive oil before adding the tomato sauce to the pan. Also the longer and slower the sauce simmers, the better the flavors, at least thats what I've been taught.

As for pizzeria pizza, I like Papa Johns.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:13 AM   #17
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

In New Zealand it's very hard to get a decent Italian-style pizza, although there is ONE place in the city I live that can at least come close to the authentic Italian thin-crust flavours.
There are plenty of American-style pizza joints around though. Pizza Hutt, Eagle Boys (an Australian franchise), Pizza Haven (another Australian one). All the same thick, greasy, synthetic stuff. All of the 'American' places deliver. They make pretty bland and flavourless pizzas, but they're great when you've been smoking a certain green herb and have the munchies and need a big feed but don't wanna get up off the couch
I've eaten Italian pizza in Rome and I've gotta say it's absolutely amazing [img]smile.gif[/img] Gorgeous stuff. Fresh ingedients, cooked just right. Not oily or soggy. Mmmmmm There were lots of good 'authentic' pizza outlets in London too.
Also, my friend Sam took me on a tour of all the major fast food outlets in Los Angeles and I've gotta say that the Pizza wasn't all that bad, although it wasn't really any different from the 'American' pizza we get in NZ. But I guess uniformity of taste is what being a multi-national fast-food franchise is all about.

*edit* - Ps: Napolitana all the way man!!!!!!!!!!

[ 10-06-2003, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 10-06-2003, 07:03 AM   #18
dplax
Jack Burton

I think italian pizzas are the best. Although i don't know where I can get hold of them in Lyon. Is anyone from Lyon on the boards?

Old 10-06-2003, 07:53 AM   #19
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:
quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:

Really? I think they skimp on the cheese, both in quantity and in quality. They mix in the more fattening cheeses (cheddar, etc.) instead of using straight lower-fat Mozzarella cheeses. At least they do that here (may be different elsewhere)[/QUOTE]Well, here in Australia, pizzeria-style pizzas are considered "gourmet" and are more expensive than Pizza Hut pizzas, for example. They (gourmet pizzas) are always thin-crust and are always sprinkled with a small amount of Mozzarella. IMO, a slice of pizzeria-style pizza is not only better tasting, but better for you than say, a piece of a pizza from Pizza Hut. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #20
wellard
Dracolisk

You know, reading this thread has made me hungry ....... walks off to the fridge for a beer and something to eat [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years