Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2001, 06:50 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

I have discussed this briefly here before, but for those that don't know - I suffer from Night Terrors. This is visual/audio disturbance (hallucination) caused by abnormal electical activity in a particular part of the brain which occurs within the first 30 minutes or so after falling asleep. It is not a dream, because you wake up, then the hallucination happens.

Well last night I was under attack from giant flying insects ALL NIGHT! (no, I don't do drugs, and I'm not mad either. It's a bit like a type of epilepsy that only starts when you're asleep!!)
I could hear their wings beating, I could see them swooping at my head, I could feel their legs brushing against my face. It was awful! I kept huddling under the covers, yelling for help, with my heartrate at about 120, barely able to breath. It happened at least 3 times, each time about an hour after the last, so I barely got any sleep - it takes a while to calm down after an attack.

Anyone else get this? It's kinda difficult to explain without sounding completely insane!

Here is a link to a site about the conditions in case anyone thinks I'm making this up:
http://www.nightterrors.org/

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 09-03-2001).]
Old 09-03-2001, 07:59 AM   #2
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well... maybe you should forget all of your fears... those are the one that haunt you back when you sleep

------------------

Heya! It's me, Imoen! And I looove bunnies!!!
Old 09-03-2001, 08:30 AM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

Epona, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I beleive you, of course. I was also up late, coughing though, But I hope you can find someway to work through this, kay?

*hugs*
Lioness

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Old 09-03-2001, 08:33 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
Epona, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I beleive you, of course. I was also up late, coughing though, But I hope you can find someway to work through this, kay?

*hugs*
Lioness

Oh, it's OK! I got used to this years ago - just annoying when it keeps you awake half the night. Doesn't even really scare me anymore, it's just the release of adrenalin makes it difficult to get back to sleep. Happens every few months or so, not even very often.

------------------

Old 09-03-2001, 08:34 AM   #5
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hell! That sounds dreadful Epona! No, I don't get that I'm glad to say.

Nearest I ever came to anything similar - but not the same thing - was as a child. I used to lie awake in bed in total darkness (wartime, blackout) and watch as a glowing giant spiderweb, with strands as thick as cables, formed around my bed. It was studded with the great dark bodies of spiders and glowing human skulls. I would just lie there, eyes wide and unblinking, rigid with terror, only eyes and nose outside the blankets, and barely breathing, 'cos any movement on my part would let them see me and then.....!!

Your experiences sound MUCH worse, and you have my deepest sympathy. I 'grew out' of mine. I will check out the site.

------------------

Old 09-03-2001, 08:44 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Hell! That sounds dreadful Epona! No, I don't get that I'm glad to say.

Nearest I ever came to anything similar - but not the same thing - was as a child. I used to lie awake in bed in total darkness (wartime, blackout) and watch as a glowing giant spiderweb, with strands as thick as cables, formed around my bed. It was studded with the great dark bodies of spiders and glowing human skulls. I would just lie there, eyes wide and unblinking, rigid with terror, only eyes and nose outside the blankets, and barely breathing, 'cos any movement on my part would let them see me and then.....!!

Your experiences sound MUCH worse, and you have my deepest sympathy. I 'grew out' of mine. I will check out the site.

That DOES sound like Night Terrors Fljotsdale! They are quite common in children as some parts of the brain develop faster than others - but the vast majority of people grow out of it. The only experience I can liken it to is if you have a fever and have delirious hallucinations.

------------------

Old 09-03-2001, 09:10 AM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

have you seen a theropist? I mean, there got be treatment for it. what is the causes for this? have you any idea? maybe you are stressed?
Old 09-03-2001, 09:23 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
have you seen a theropist? I mean, there got be treatment for it. what is the causes for this? have you any idea? maybe you are stressed?
It's a physical condition, not a psychological one. It isn't bad enough to take drugs that suppress brain activity LOL! The worst effect of this is occasional lack of sleep, it's not dangerous at all. It happens a couple of times a year at most (yes, stress is a factor - I have a lot of work at the moment) and is just mildly irritating.

It would be like going to the Emergency Room because you had a paper cut !!!

------------------

Old 09-03-2001, 09:41 AM   #9
Conan

Epona, thanks for bailing me out in 250s post! Sorry to hear about these nightmare things. Sometimes I roll around for hours trying to sleep. My mind comes up with very strange thoughts but seem to subside 2 hours from wake up time.Nothing compared to yours thow. My thoughts are usaully paranoid ones about my job or what people say during the day. Mybe try some physical activitys 1 hour before bed time? This helps me alot.

Conan

Old 09-03-2001, 11:49 AM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

That sounds full on Epona. Hope you get some rest soon.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!