Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 09:48 PM   #1
Brex Haney
Elite Waterdeep Guard

-- A tiny bald man creeps out from the shadows. Silently, slowley, he scales to the top of a soap box. He stubles only once and manages to conceal his flask from most onlookers. He clears his throat and speaks (only slighty slurred).--

I'm kind of new to this game, and as your new master errr, friend, I have prepared a short list of demand- uh, questions.

Area Effect Spells:
I have read countless suggestions about what characters to include in a group, but none seem to mention the classic "Army of Gnomish Casters" configuration. Do damage spells suddenly become less effective in the late game? Like I said, I havn't made it far in the game yet, but I do know this: 3 mages and a bishop all casting fireball and/or iceball can level LOTS of enemies FAST. Which brings us to question #2...

Anika (sp? the first city):
It takes 1 round of combat to destroy a group of "Higuard Patroll" people in the city. "A group" means as many as you can round up. Just 6 of these guards yield 12,700 experience to each character! Thats a TON at level 9 like I am. But do I need the guards to ever like me again for any reason? If not i'm gonna plunder the entire city before I move on.

And finally (most importantly):
The gnome women in this game are butt ugly! This must be fixed! We cannot continue to destroy the lesser races in Anika without decent looking gnomish concubines! Please notify me when the patch to fix this problem is availiable for download.

Thanks for any help if you actually read all this rambling.
Your "friend,"
Lord Haney
Old 01-30-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
Moni

Do damage spells suddenly become less effective in the late game?

No, but the game does match you with enemies that make most every fight a challenge...there is no god-like destruction going on at high levels unless you trek back to lower level areas.

But do I need the guards to ever like me again for any reason? If not i'm gonna plunder the entire city before I move on.

If it does not interfere with your faction ratings with the merchants themselves, plunder away. These guys DO come in handy as allies in some of the fights you will encounter as the game progresses, esp since the savants creatures gain strength as you do as do the Higardi rogue-types that sometimes meet up with you in town. Just don't expect too much out of them once you start fighting slashers.

The gnome women in this game are butt ugly!

Gnomes ARE butt ugly. There are no plastic surgeons on Arnika willing to undertake the first look in order to make anything better of it.
My suggestion here is to realize that true beauty comes from the inside.

Enjoy your game!
Old 01-30-2002, 10:50 PM   #3
Coradin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nice post Moni...LOL

The only thing I have to add is that magic is very useful at all levels. The diffrence is that area of affect damaging spells are not that effective. Buffing, unbuffing, paralyzing and mental type spells are most usefull.
Coradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
Brex Haney
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Excelent work informant Moni. We shall spare your family and poodles when we, ahem, remodel the town. *Paniced shrieks can be heard over the wet THUD of a dull rusty axe meeting flesh* Woops, on second thought, I won't be able to do the family thing. Never fear, you can expect a pretty postcard depicting the new Arnika.

Brex's "To DO" list:
1) Pickpocket everybody.
2) Find recruitable NPCs.
3) Kill them.
4) Kill their friends.
5) Kill their pets.
6) Eliminate the guards (kill just sounds so cruel).
7) Do some casual shopping with the merchants to complete my wardrobe.
8) Kill anyone still standing.

All this work to do... I must get started!
Old 01-30-2002, 11:29 PM   #5
fable
Quintesson

You forgot:

9) Shoplift anything that isn't nailed down or painted on a surface.

A good thief can make you literally roll in goods. I use Myles for that purpose, but you can home-grow one, yourself. Well worth the investment. [img]smile.gif[/img]
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:34 PM   #6
Moni

Please!
PLEASE Sir!
Don't spare the poodles!
[img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 02:06 AM   #7
Brex Haney
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah yes, suppose I did forget mention robbery. My Mook Bard friend (Jojo the Magical Dancing Monkey from Hell)is becoming quite the cutpurse. We robbed that funny little merchant in the lower monestary right before he fell under the blade, I guess we could take the time to rob Arnika blind.

And of course:
#10 Enslave the local plastic surgeons and have them repair these putrid gnomish barmaids.
#11 Have my gadgeteer build me a Tommy Gun for the Scarface effect.
#12 Build an Opera House, to instill a sense of refinement.

There are my demands minions! GET TO WORK!
Your humble (supreme) master,
Brex