Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2001, 11:35 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Folks -

I realise that including graphics in a post is a fun and popular thing to do but please keep it to a minumum on the W&W board.

If you have a graphic signature that you just love to show off, limit it to ONCE in any given thread.

I believe most members who frequent the W&W board are here for the content, not the pictures (with the obvious exception of the Gael Serran Examiner - lol!).

If you really want to go graphics wild - go over to General Discussions - it's a tradition over there but I would rather not see it become a tradition here.

Thanks, Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 01:07 PM   #2
Fantaghiro
Dungeon Master

Hear, Hear, Wyvern!

I just popped into GD and some of the threads take eons to load. Often they don't - the browser (I'm using NS 4.7) says Documentone, but it's lying.

Anyway, I really like the fact that threads in this forum load fast. I, for one, promise not to use a graphic sig (don't know how to, anyway!).
Fantaghiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 01:12 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Graphic sigs, if limited to under 6K in size, shouldn't cause much loading problems. However, I do understand Wvyern's point...since this tends to be a lot more of a "help" forum, we need to keep the load times low here.

For example, the graphic signature I use at General Discussions,

is 5K in size...less than a typical banner ad. Notice that I do not use this here at Wizards & Warriors, though, although I do over in General Discussions and some of the other boards where it is tolerated.

I realize that I am guilty of using graphics as well yesterday with the "fireworks"...that was a one shot deal only.

If you do find cool screenshots while running Wizards & Warriors, send them to me and I can get them up (host them even!) for a Gael Serran Examiner. It's our one graphic publication here at W&W.

Thanks, everyone!

-Sazerac

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 01:32 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the support!

I have really been dithering with myself about posting this at all. I know how some folks just really love the graphics and I don't want to quash anyone's fun on this board, but this is a board dedicated to helping posters with problems in W&W, not a graphics showcase.

I'm not asking anyone to stop using graphics altogether - they are fun. My problem arises when I open a thread and there are more graphics there than content which isn't what I see as the purpose of this particular board.

No one is going to get in trouble over this! I do not have that sort of power and even if I did, I would not use it over this issue. Being friendly, helpful and funny is what counts on this board!

Saz - I thought your FIREWORKS graphics completely appropriate and I enjoyed them!! It was a celebration and deserved the special feeling the fireworks added!

There is a time and a place - and everyone here is fully capable of knowing the difference!

Thanks, Wyv
Old 05-26-2001, 01:41 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

I'm totally behind you on this Wyvern. Especially when the pics show up in every post on a thread from the same person. After a while it does become boring.

Dazzle us with your writing not pictures. I'd rather read a well written, thoughful post, than look at graphics. Maybe that's why spectacular graphics in a game mean less to me than the story.

Just my view!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:39 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

OOOOOPS ! Sorry, I know that I am one who uses a ton of graphics...

I'l behave, 'kay???

Don't kick me out of W&W !!!! I'll be good....
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:41 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

RudeDawg, don't worry! You are a valued and trusted member here at Wizards & Warriors!

*sigh* This is starting to get out of hand.

Guys, nothing you are doing is bad Wyv just wanted to tone down the graphics a bit, okay?

Using graphics in your sig is fine, but only once per thread. At least, that's how I read what she said.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:46 PM   #8
WizardMen
The Magister

not this kind of graphic right?
()xxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
WizardMen
WizardMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 02:50 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Dawg - you're fine!! And as Saz noted - if you'd use your (wonderful) graphic signature only once in a thread - that would be appreciated!

Wizardmen - no problem with the ascii graphics! They load fast, fast, fast!!

Don't stress, folk!!

Wyv
Old 05-26-2001, 06:09 PM   #10
AliCat
Drow Warrior

I'd like to second... or third... or, let's see, totally support Wyv's request here, as those extra sig graphics are wholly unnecessary and space-consuming. Go Wyv!

AliCat
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote