Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 04:20 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

When my computer boots up it stops at the login screen. If anyone has unread mail messages, the number of messages unread is listed below their name. How do I turn this off? I've seen the option before, but of course, since I want to turn it off, I can't remember where...

It's not that I don't like the feature, but that leads to my second problem. It shows me with 13 unread messages, but I don't have any unread messages! I've checked in every folder in Outlook Express and there is nothing that is unread, but everytime I boot up, there's that message. This started 3 or 4 days ago for no apparent reason.

Onward to my 3rd problem [img]smile.gif[/img] . I can't switch identities in Outlook Express. When I try to log into my second ID, the screen flashes normally, but instead of coming up under the second ID, I'm back to my primary ID. If I use the wrong password, it says it's wrong, but when I use it correctly the screen simply flashes, and I'm back to my primary ID. I've even deleted the second account and tried creating a new one with a different name, but I still have the same problem. This has been going on for several weeks. I think it started after I installed service pack 1 for XP.

I'm up to date on all updates, run virus scan daily, and am not having any other problems related to Outlook.

Any help will be appreciated
Old 10-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
Aviehenda
Dungeon Master

I think u can change ur login screen by going to the start menu and click on control panel, then go to user accounts. Then change the way user logs on and off.
Hope this is right =)
Old 10-07-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Nope already tried that one [img]smile.gif[/img]

This setting just allows you to type in only the password while supplying the usernames, or it can require you to type in both username and password. The only other option is whether or now to allow fast switching between accounts.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:03 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Come on guys.....I'm dying here

And Dell Tech support is torturing me as I go.....
Old 10-07-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
Aviehenda
Dungeon Master

Is it the mail message thing u want to turn off?
Old 10-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Ive had a look through my control panel. Im just getting used to XP, only had it a week but if that options in there its well hidden.

Of course, I think your more concerend over those 13 messages and your second identity, but I never use outlook express (or even outlook itself if I can help), so I dont have much of a clue. Except - there may be a problem with your primary ID rather than the alternate. Try saving everything worth saving and deleting them all. I reiterate im not familiar with express in any way so this may be nonsense.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:14 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviehenda:
Is it the mail message thing u want to turn off?
Yes the one that comes up beneath the login IDs at start up. It will say something like, "You have 13 un-read messages".

It was actually useful until it started falsely reporting [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

There is an option to turn it off though. I remember seeing it and thinking, I should write this down or I'll forget it. Ultimately, I talked myself out of writing it down and here I am

I'll try deleting the main accout(after making a restore point of course).
Old 10-07-2002, 07:18 PM   #8
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Your problem is twofold. One you are useing Outlook Express which is about as usefull as a bag of wet mice. Upgrade to a hotmail account to fix the problem. Next is that you are useing Win XP. Ditch that bug filled resource hog and replace it with a streamlined and usefull OS. THe easiest way to do it,if you dont have another OS handy is to delete the current OS and do a selective install of XP. Then just dont install anything you dont use on a regular basis. THe bigest problem with Win Xp is that you have to have a MINIMUM of 200 something system ram to run it properly.Most OS glitches can be traced back to insufficient system resources which will cause all kinds of chaos on your machine, like everyones favorite, "the blue screen of death".THe good old days when 128megs of ram was enough are over.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Your problem is twofold. One you are useing Outlook Express which is about as usefull as a bag of wet mice. Upgrade to a hotmail account to fix the problem. Next is that you are useing Win XP. Ditch that bug filled resource hog and replace it with a streamlined and usefull OS. THe easiest way to do it,if you dont have another OS handy is to delete the current OS and do a selective install of XP. Then just dont install anything you dont use on a regular basis. THe bigest problem with Win Xp is that you have to have a MINIMUM of 200 something system ram to run it properly.Most OS glitches can be traced back to insufficient system resources which will cause all kinds of chaos on your machine, like everyones favorite, "the blue screen of death".THe good old days when 128megs of ram was enough are over.
I've used Outlook Express for many years without a problem. I've figured out what the deal was with switching accounts. It was something to do with the XP Service Pack 1, I installed, there is now an option that has to be turned off in order to switch accounts. That's the bad thing about upgrades, they don't come with instructions.

I haven't had any other problems with XP. Actually, it runs better than 98 and 98SE, which I've used previously at home, and 95 and NT, which I use at work.

Resources aren't the problem either. I have a 2GIG processor with 512MG ram. No "blue screen" of death since I've gone to XP at all.

Actually, the problem with the login screen showing "unread" messages was related to my hotmail account. I removed it from Outlook and rebooted. When login came back up, it still showed 13 messages unread(in my 'removed' hotmail account). I sent my hotmail account an email from another account, checked for email, and found one for the hotmail account, but didn't read it. This time, when I rebooted, I showed 1 unread email, which was correct. I guess the new '1 unread' overwrote the errored '13 unread' email message. Once I 'read' that message and deleted it, I rebooted, and thank goodness, there was no message regarding unread emails.

I'm back in business [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] The only thing I did differently, was to use remote assistance to help my friend. While it was running, I did receive a notice of "unread" email messages from MSN Messenger(which is the platform through which RA works). My friend receive a notice of unread messages while running RA and so did I. I have to think that was somehow involved. Why? I don't know

I have a friend who bought Linux because he doesn't like Microsoft. He set up a dual boot situation, but boots XP 99.99% of the time.

Microsoft SUCKS! But everything else sucks more...lol [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 10-07-2002, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-07-2002, 08:24 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Those mail messages could be from a hotmail account that you`ve used in Windows Messanger.
They were, but they had long since been deleted, and I've finally fixed the problem....Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 10-07-2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]