Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
str8shot
Welcomed New User

Any help on the final defeat of the LureMaster would be appreciated I'm at the Throne Room
str8shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Lymond
Manshoon

Str8shot,

Welcome to the boards!

First off, I'd do the basics- haste, prayer, courage etc. to make the individuals as strong and lucky as possible. Then because of the area and the number of opponents, I cast area affect spells to slow them down, like web or that vines one. At the same time, I have the other magic user summon some creatures (more for their distraction value). From there, it depends on who is caught in a trap or still free and then it's just picking the right targets.

Good Luck!

Lymond
Old 10-20-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Str8shot, YOu're moving along pretty fast!

Lymond, So You've finished! Congrats!!

I'm still dinking around with my StarCraft BW hiatus.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:00 AM   #4
Lymond
Manshoon

NobleNick,

No, I haven't finished yet. This is the second time I fell for the wiley Luremasters tricks. The strategy I mentioned is from my recollection of the last time I was there.

Without spoiling anything, I'm in the stage after the entrance to the castle proper. I'm still bent about spectal guards, however, because they keep popping up. They inspire the following thoughts:

1) At the entrance to the castle, before you do something to turn them against you, you can't turn them. I'm not surprised because it's just a game, but they're still undead. I left my paladin and cleric there for ten minutes trying to turn them (while I did the dishes). When I got back, nobody had run away or blown up, which is what I really wanted. I've never blown anyone up. Chunkified with extreme prejudice yes, but blown up, no. I'd like to see it.

2) I don't like paladins. There, I've said it. Ok, so I didn't give her all the best equipment- she has -12 ac when my tank has -19. Maybe some balancing is in order. Nevertheless, she does have that supersword. I don't know what it is, but she still doesn't deal out great damage. Her healing ability was nice at lower levels, but is now insignificant and she can't cast a tenth of what the cleric can. Right now, my cleric can heal in a big way, resurrect and is wielding that dove mace. She's also a ranger with skeletal undead as an enemy and has frequently handled enemies one on one. It seems like the paladin is always the last one fighting, and needs to be rescued by her sisters (yes, my current party is all women). I know there are many who disagree and I'm probably playing the paladin incorrectly, but I'd be curious to know what's so great about them.

3) How the heck can someone solo? The other night a single spectral guard blew through my slightly injured paladin (no surprise), cleric/ranger, and tank dc fighter/mage. The difficulty is set to hard and it was (ultimately I summoned a diversion and let the guard have it with every attack spell I had), but I can't imagine how people do it, even after reading other posts about it. Is it just a matter of hit and run and hit and run? What about enemies that regenerate? What about those rooms where six or more enemies pop up at once? Does the game adjust the difficulty knowing that you're going solo? Does the game take you five times as long as one with a complete party?

A lot to digest, I know.

Lymond
Old 10-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Soloing is difficult but not impossible. Many people get stuck at the level of Dragon's eye with the high summoner. I have been through the main game with a Fighter/Mage/Cleric, I have not yet done the expansion TotLM yet solo but it should be a real challenge. The Spectral Guards in TotLM would be a pain in solo. This is were I found the druid most benificial as most of the Spectral guards have slashing weapons, I just made sure to take out the ones with crushing weapons first.

I use a lot of hit and run tactics in solo, but for me the combination of spells I use is most important. Sanctuary + Circle of Bones is an example of a deadly combination, summons are most helpful. Turn Undead, and Undead Ward makes any undead a walk over. If you can try to spread points over three weapons, 2 melee (one slashing, one crushing), and a ranged weapon.

Do a party on HoF mode, than come back and try a solo game on normal, you will face harder and more enemies in HoF mode, and you may be forced to learn new tactics that will help you when you try to go through solo. The mod Project Auril makes the game in normal slightly harder because of the new creatures and battles added. The vale becomes really hard at low levels, picture skeletons except now they have exploding arrows..

[ 10-22-2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Lymond:
... Chunkified with extreme prejudice yes, ...
ROTFL!

[ 10-23-2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote