Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
Ziroc

I am reposting this story here in a new thread:

Do you believe in Fate? Or do you believe stuff happens for a reason? An example below:

"My sister was on the way to work, and came to a train crossing that NEVER had a train come at that time in the morning--NEVER.. but this one morning, a train was stopped across the road for 10 mins. She waited until it cleared.. and on her way to work, she drove past a HUGE 5 car wreck, and it happened minutes ago.. If that train was not there, she could have been part of that."

Or mine:

Stopped at a stoplight, I am waiting for it to turn green. I USUALLY punch it when it turns green. But this time I didn't. SOMETHING made me look both ways before I went when it turned green--I was lucky, a HUGE Semi-Tanker went through a red light, and if I had punched it when it went green, I would be dead--NO doubt at all.. I was totally freaked out for weeks.

If you have a story like this, POST IT!! I wanna know! Someone was looking out for me that day. Maybe my Dad.

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-11-2001, 12:03 AM   #2
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

certain things are hard to explain. but remember that, we tend to interpret things in ways we prefer.
a perfect example is the movie "the Messenger" the main actress, Jane, prefered to interpret those signs in her early life as messages from God, and she interpreted herself as a messanger sent by God

it is all about preference. after all, if you cross that road, the tank car might stop. or if you press the traffic light, the green light might gave the driver a signal... even if that train didn't come, your sister might not be caught in the 5 car wreck... who knows. we prefer the assumption that "we jusr avoided an accident" it gave us a nice feeling. it is cruel when you really look at things as what had happened, not what might happen, because it took away the indication that "we are special" or "we are blessed" or "we are cared for" or simply "I am just lucky"

on the hand, as Yorick always say "others see coincidence, I see God."

In my opinion, you are the major determine factor to your life curve.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:05 AM   #3
G'kar

Well, Last year I was sittng at a downtown Boston outdoor cafe on a very windy day. A homeless looking fellow bummed a smoke from me, so I stood up and went over to this fellow and gave him a smoke. a 6 ft long solid metal pole fell from an awning about twenty feet above and crashed into the chair I was sitting in seconds before, It missed me from where I stood by less than a foot. I turned my head at the loud clang, and when I turned back, the gruffy guy was...gone. Though probably lost in the busy crowd. The metal chair I was sitting in had a huge dent in it, the pole probably wieghed about 20 lbs.

The day before my girlfriend gave me a gift, a totem necklace with a symbol of protection on it, to protect me from violent shoplifters at my urban retail job. I was wearing it when this happened, of course.

An angel in disguise as a stranger, and my lovers thoughful gift, two synchronicities in one this event.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:06 AM   #4
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

In a certain way I believe in fate... I believe that God knows what will happen in the future and what you will choose to do, even though the choice is still there to make. I do believe that things happen for a reason, because God has a plan. It's kind of hard to explain because free will exists yet God has a plan that will be fulfilled... I don't know, that's just what I believe .

-Jafin

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar
The not-so-secret admirer of Lioness
Mage of the Court of Lady Lioness
Old 10-11-2001, 12:07 AM   #5
catman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi all, my story of fate is work related,

We had an incident at the firestation I work at one evening. Turns out that one of the air bottles we wear on our backs when we work a structure fire had received a chemical exposure a couple of weeks prior in a training burn, and over time the fiberglass wrap that gave the bottle it's strength (and allowed it to be lightweight) degraded. That bottle had been sitting in it's normal compartment when it gave way and blew up, taking out the side of the fire engine in the process (oh, there was 4500 psi of air, or 310 bar if you will, inside the bottle). The explosion shook the station to the point that my partners and I thought we were having an earthquake, or possibly that a car had just run into us.
The fate part comes in because 10 minutes before the bottle went, I had been standing at that very compartment with my hand on the latch, about to do the daily checks on those airpacks and bottles (we had been busy that day and I hadn't gotten to it yet). But the time was just before 9pm, and a movie that my partners and I had talked about watching was going to be on at 9 (a T.V. mini-series about the Civil War called 'Andersonville"). So I decided the heck with it and joined the others in the T.V. room. I never did see that program, but thank the heavens almost daily for it, for if I had been standing there, well it's a good thing I hadn't been standing there.
So yes, I do believe in fate..very much indeed! And thank you for listening

Cheers

[This message has been edited by catman (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old 10-11-2001, 12:07 AM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Well, Last year I was sittng at a downtown Boston outdoor cafe on a very windy day. A homeless looking fellow bummed a smoke from me, so I stood up and went over to this fellow and gave him a smoke. a 6 ft long solid metal pole fell from an awning about twenty feet above and crashed into the chair I was sitting in seconds before, It missed me from where I stood by less than a foot. I turned my head at the loud clang, and when I turned back, the gruffy guy was...gone. Though probably lost in the busy crowd. The metal chair I was sitting in had a huge dent in it, the pole probably wieghed about 20 lbs.

The day before my girlfriend gave me a gift, a totem necklace with a symbol of protection on it, to protect me from violent shoplifters at my urban retail job. I was wearing it when this happened, of course.

An angel in disguise as a stranger, and my lovers thoughful gift, two synchronicities in one this event.
just beautiful... sigh...
whats a totem of necklace with protection? I want to buy one! I want to buy one! not for myself though...

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old 10-11-2001, 12:10 AM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

yes, i do believe in fate. a few examples follow:

When my dad was a young man of about 18, he was working in a grain silo. his supervisor told him to go clean out the shaft or something, and he did it, assuming the turbines were off. they werent, and he lost footing, dangling with his legs just inches over the blades screaming for help until his supervisor turned them off. i'm sure it was fate that he saved himself there, although why he never pressed charges i'll never know...

also, a few years ago on the 4th of July, i was setting a daytime firework off. the sparks surprised me, sendinding me back a few feet. the firework shot off (it was of the flying variety, mind you). it didnt go up, it instead went towards me. usually i would stand high and strong, not blinking as it came toward me. but instead i fell away towards a step, causing the firework to go above me where my chest was just a few milliseconds ago. i'm almost sure this was fate, as i would likely be dead now if it werent for my decision that there was no shame in ducking from a burning ball of black powder!

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-11-2001, 12:14 AM   #8
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
certain things are hard to explain. but remember that, we tend to interpret things in ways we prefer.
a perfect example is the movie "the Messenger" the main actress, Jane, prefered to interpret those signs in her early life as messages from God, and she interpreted herself as a messanger sent by God

it is all about preference. after all, if you cross that road, the tank car might stop. or if you press the traffic light, the green light might gave the driver a signal... even if that train didn't come, your sister might not be caught in the 5 car wreck... who knows. we prefer the assumption that "we jusr avoided an accident" it gave us a nice feeling. it is cruel when you really look at things as what had happened, not what might happen, because it took away the indication that "we are special" or "we are blessed" or "we are cared for" or simply "I am just lucky"

on the hand, as Yorick always say "others see coincidence, I see God."

In my opinion, you are the major determine factor to your life curve.

I was looking for stories!! -- J/k! I understand what you mean, but this Tanker was going about 70mph.. I mean FAST!! I would have been T-boned and oh... it would have been nasty..

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-11-2001, 12:15 AM   #9
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
just beautiful... sigh...
whats a totem of necklace with protection? I want to buy one! I want to buy one! not for myself though...

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 10-11-2001).]
The one I have is a small leather pouch with a celtic knot engraved on it. It is designed to hold small stone animal totem carvings.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:17 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
The one I have is a small leather pouch with a celtic knot engraved on it. It is designed to hold small stone animal totem carvings.

wow... neat! really neat! where can I get one of those? I mean, ones that really work! as special as possible! thanks, buddy!