Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Pepe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have an issue with BGII TOB.

Every time I try to load either a new game or a saved game, I get to the "Loading Area" screen when game-play should start, and the screen freezes. I can create a character or get as far as the load game screen, but it won't actually go into gameplay. It will load that big circle that shows loading, and then it will not go any farther. One very odd thing is if I click the mouse while it's stuck my character will speak...actually, it's more like a groan. It is totally locking up to where I have to CTL/ALT/DEL and shut down the program to get out of it.

Here is the situation. I've played BG-II with and without TOB for probably five years. I've been completely through the game on this same computer probably a hundred times. I have played a lot of different mods all the way through on this system. The first time I locked up was a couple months ago. I played the Sarelith mod for the first time, and we had just crossed over into TOB. I got to TOB, and the first time an area was supposed to load it locked up. It hasn't worked right since.

Here's what I've done since. I removed the Saerelith mod. Then I removed all the mods. Then I uninstalled and put it all back on. Then I uninstalled and tried playing vanilla. Then I bought an entire new copy of the whole game and tried it all over again. I've tried it with patches and without. I've tried it with patches and fixpacks and without. I intended to try each mod seperately to find out which one was causing the problem, but it won't even run without any!

Right now, I have a brand new install. I'm putting the official TOB patch and the G2 BG-II fixpack. Then I will either find out what's wrong or maybe I'll shoot out my monitor.

By the way, my system should be fine. It has worked for years on the game. I'm wondering if Windows did something on an update that caused a conflict. If anybody knows what might be the problem, that would be great.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Welcome to Ironworks.

Can't say for certain what could be causing the lock-ups, but I'm having a similar issue with my Morrowind game. I've even gone as far as reinstalling it.

Anywho just and idea, are you running Windows Vista? cuz I am and I'm wondering if that could possibly be part of the problem. New OS old games, don't always mix too well.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Pepe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Anywho just and idea, are you running Windows Vista?
Nope. I'm on XP.

Hopefully somebody has an idea what our problem is. It's very frustrating, because I've done everything I can think to do. It worked great for years on the same computer...then kaput.

This is my favorite game, too.

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been here quite a while, but I mostly just read.

[ 06-09-2007, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Pepe ]
Old 06-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Not sure if you mentioned that you did this or not in your post, but have you tried uninstalling, installing vanilla + patch + fixpack, then starting a new ToB game (not importing your saves, which I assume you are doing?)

perhaps its a corrupt save file, or something.

(By all means I have no expertise in this matter, just aiming on possibilities )
Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepe:
I'm wondering if Windows did something on an update that caused a conflict. If anybody knows what might be the problem, that would be great.
That could actually be it, because I've had a windows update cause my nwn game to crash. So if you're saying it's a brand new install and that the system has handled the game before then that could be the problem.

Here is what you can do. Go to Control Panel, then to Add/Remove Programs. Check the "show updates" box and that will cause all the windows updates to show. Unistall them all, if the game works properly, you know it is one of them that caused it and you can reinstall them one by one till you find which is the culprit.

[ 06-09-2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 06-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
Pepe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivelliis:
have you tried uninstalling, installing vanilla + patch + fixpack, then starting a new ToB game (not importing your saves, which I assume you are doing?)
Yep. I've tried all new games since I got the new copy.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Pepe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
Unistall them all, if the game works properly, you know it is one of them that caused it and you can reinstall them one by one till you find which is the culprit.
Wow.

I might try uninstalling them back to about when the problem started. That's a lot of updates.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

IE7 has been known to mess with 3rd party programs. Uninstalling IE7 will roll you back to IE6. If you have recently upgraded to IE7, you may wish to try removing it.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote