Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
thorfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi all,
Just wanted to know what you think of my party...
1/2 Elven Bard
Elven F/T
Human Fighter will dual to druid
I am just finishing Vale of Shadows and have HOW installed. I think that the only thing I might miss is the cool mage items and possible Turn Undead.
What do you think???

I had started the game with 3 fighters I planned to dual later and a bard, and I actually am doing better with the party above. I think that it might be due to the fact that I use more strategy when I have more interesting characters...I just have never done well with fighters...even in old pnp games, fighters were boring to me (except for one albino beserking elf barbarian...)
Thanks
thorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You seem to have all the bases covered with this party. The Bard can act almost as well as a mage when it comes to spells, have powerful songs, and are slightly better at fighting.

You have thief skills so this is always good, combined with the fighter skills makes him great for sneak attacks.

What you lack at the start is healing, and when you dual to druid you will have those, plus some nasty spells. Plus you can always stack up on healing potions for the early going.

Your party should do quite well.

Oh and Welcome to the boards!!!! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 12-16-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I am assuming that you are playing on Core Difficulty. Since it is a relatively small party of three, your level progression should be pretty fast. The bard song, The War Chant of Sith, will help you with the issue of healing.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
thorfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh, here's a question...
I am planning on dualling the fighter to druid at 7th level, but is that a mistake...should I hold out to 9, or does it matter much?
Thanks for the responses so far...this has been, by far, the most fun I have had with a IWD party.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Level 7:

- +0.5 Attacks per Round
- Faster to regain back Fighter class skills

Level 9:

- +1 Weapon Proficiency
- Better HP
- Slower progression

Level 13:

- +0.5 Attacks per Round
- Mucho HP
- Painful progression, unless on higher difficulties
- Worth the effort if you have the patience
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:12 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

thorfin,

Though I dislike small parties, I must admit that pritchke is right: If you are just going to do IWD straight through, you have a workable party. I do not feel so comfortable with the assertion that you have all bases covered:

If you are planning on beginning HoW somewhere towards the end of your adventures in LDD, then I would suggest the addition of a DC Fighter/Priest. Fighter, because he carries the skills that a Bard leverages so-o-o-o well; and Priest because you'll get spanked big time in an entire area in HoW (at least) if you don't have one, plus he is very useful all of the time.

I do HoW/TotLM; so dualed all of my DC characters (of which I have many) over at level 9 or higher for Fighters, and level 10 or higher for clerics. My only regret: that I didn't hold back longer before DCing some of them. If you have a party of 3 to 4 and are doing HoW and TotLM you will get plenty of expo to create and enjoy characters such as Fighter(10)/Druid(x) and Fighter(9)/Cleric(x). If I were going to turn on HoF mode, then Fighter(13)/Whatever(x) and Cleric(14)/Whatever(x) would be my minimum standard for a DCed character.

I forget: does an elf have infravision? I don't think so... If not, I would pick the race of your Bard or one MC character to have that trait.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #7
thorfin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am really thinking of dualling at level 7. I will probably stick with that...I really want to bring the druid up to speed.
I am playing with HOW installed...and yes, I am worried a bit about not having a priest, especially for the turn undead abilities...
I always do much better, and find the game more managable and enjoyable with smaller parties...admittedly, this party just cleared out the Vale and I never left nor had any deaths...though I did rest often. I have been worried about undead, which is one reason I have the f->d use hammers as well as scimitars...I know that I have a weakness in that area/priestly, but I am, so far, coming up with very entertaining ways around it..
Best, I don't feel that I am using "cheese" tactics as they say...I am learning to play the game much more as a tactical combat game...I do a lot of scouting, and find good places to set up ambushes...I guess I am playing like I have a small, elite military unit...say SEALS or something...
I gotta admit, this group is fun!
Thanks for all the great feedback; I hope to see some more!