Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2001, 11:18 PM   #1
Ziroc

My oh my...

It started Sat, and as you know, our Car Air is out. WELL, the house air went out that night too. NICE HUH! Well, Donna has a Uncle that fixes them, and came out on Sunday, and checked it out, it was just a compasator (sp) THANK GOD! A simple piece that costs $15. I was extremely down Sat night though.. the forum was screwed, the car air, the HOME air, and feeling crappy! I did feel better when we found out it was a cheap part! , I was guessing it was the Compressor, Condenser, A-Coils, or a leak in the Lines...

It started on Fri Sat around 6pm. A BAD T-Storm was over us, and the lights 'dimmed'. usually, when the power does that, the air kicks off for a protection type thing, well, around 8pm, I was hot kinda, and pushed the dial down, and I didn't hear the fan come on.. I gulped.. I went outside PRAYING it was needing a re-start or something.. I got outside to look at the AC box, and the Pipe was iced over an inch thick!! So, I was sick by then, thinking the worst, and headed up into the attic, to look at the Air Handler.. ICE again.. So I cut them off till the guy came and fixed it. GOD, what a scare

So Everything is cool till Monday. I am messsing around with the new version of this forum, about to install a new hack (Who's online for UBB v6.05f), and used a program that installs it into the code (Neat program), so I wanted to use my "00" Directory where I keep all my Artwork, and Tons of textures.. I ran the program, and went to go look at the dir to see if it worked.

The ENTIRE dir was empty except for the UBB files. This program CLEARS the dir before it runs the files... I nearly cried. (Serious man), I had MONTHS of Artwork I have been working on, and textures I had been collecting for years now, so I crossed my fingers, booted to DOS, and tried ole' Unerase.

Worked. Mostly.

It recovered all of my textures, and Art! (A few textures were garbled) but I don't care.. It was about 15,000 files I had to Undelete/Unerase, and it took nearly 3 DAYS of full processing to recover them all. Mainly because of how many files were in dirs.. I took 20 seconds PER file at the beginning, then sped up the closer it got to the end.

Holy CRAP! So I Burned CD's out my butt today! , That's why I haven't been here since then.

Talk about a scare... Oh man. I love Norton, and I'm SO glad I know DOS so well.. (Grew up on it) . I tried to 'speed-up' the undel process by adding mode con rate=30 delay=1 (cursor speed), EMM386, and Speed Disk to 20MB! It helped a tad.

Anyway, I'm back now, and NOW I'm gonna go yell at the Server Ops and see why they have yet to fix my counter, damnit!

How was YOUR day?? hehe..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 07-05-2001, 11:28 PM   #2
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

sorry to hear about the A/C glad its fixed, as for the computer art I can relate I do everthing on a MAC and have had some zip disks eat stuff.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 07-05-2001, 11:31 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dang, Z! That's terrible! I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you, though.

Yep, I was weaned on DOS as well, and I still love it...helped someone out online with the DOS ATTRIB command the other day...there's just some things that WINDOWS won't do.

And thank heavens for Norton Utilities! it's saved my butt several times.

Old 07-05-2001, 11:36 PM   #4
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Dang, Z! That's terrible! I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you, though.

Yep, I was weaned on DOS as well, and I still love it...helped someone out online with the DOS ATTRIB command the other day...there's just some things that WINDOWS won't do.

And thank heavens for Norton Utilities! it's saved my butt several times.

What's funny is that the Windows version of Norton Unerase didn't even SEE the files, and a program called File rescue saw them, but in the ROOT dir, and not all of them.. So I knew the DOS version has always worked for me before, and MAN.. talk about slow though.. ALL Day and night, non-stop! I actually read the entire book "Elfshadow" in 1 1/2 sittings waiting!

Good book btw!

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 07-06-2001).]

Old 07-05-2001, 11:40 PM   #5
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Gee, Z! Really sorry about all the trials and tribulations. (I leave town for a few days and everything falls apart.)

Well, uh, I will spare you any details about my vacation until a more appropriate time.

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB

Old 07-05-2001, 11:40 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

OH man! Dan that's a baaaaaaaaaaaad weekend!

If it will help at all, I can tell you that a surprise is coming very soon. Maybe it'll cheer you up!

Is the ac working ok now? We've had some pretty HUGE thunderstorms here (I swear I didn't send em down to you! ).

OMG! All that work... but you saved the files.. that's a big big achievement! Whew! *wipes forehead in sympathy*

I'm glad to see you back! Missed that purrrty avatar of yours

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-06-2001, 12:02 AM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

Ziroc,

I glad to hear you recovered most of your files. What a sinking feeling you must have had when you say the directory had been cleared out.

Better luck this weekend!

------------------
Old 07-06-2001, 01:04 AM   #8
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

kiwidoc sneaks up behind Ziroc and slips her arms orund himn for a surprise hug. She then pulls up a chair behind him and begins to slowly stroke her palms over his neck and shoulders till the skin begins to feel warm. Next she explores carefully with her fingertips looking for any areas of tenderness or damage. She spends some time running soft little karate chops down from the nape of the neck to the tip of the shoulder - and then some gentle flat handed slaps.

Now for some much stronger deeper strokes - again from the nape of the neck to the tip of the shoulders. With her fingers and thumbs she begins to knead and work on the tense muscles, applying a little acupressure here and there. She rests her forearms on the join between the shoulders and neck and leans gently on them to stretch the neck muscles and pull the shoulders down and away. Last of all back to the gentle surface rubbing which makes the skin flush and also causes an increase in blood flow to the underlying muscles to flush away toxins.

Hope it helped and hope things get better.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 07-06-2001, 01:09 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, Z! Was any of that the artwork you've been working on so hard this last month or so?! Yikes! I hope it's all saved!

I've had Norton not see things other utilities found... weird huh? Was it a dos program you stored in? Or just dos you retrieved them with? Whew! I bet you tore some hair out.. uh, is that bald spot I see?

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-06-2001, 01:21 AM   #10
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
OH man! Dan that's a baaaaaaaaaaaad weekend!

If it will help at all, I can tell you that a surprise is coming very soon. Maybe it'll cheer you up!

Is the ac working ok now? We've had some pretty HUGE thunderstorms here (I swear I didn't send em down to you! ).

OMG! All that work... but you saved the files.. that's a big big achievement! Whew! *wipes forehead in sympathy*

I'm glad to see you back! Missed that purrrty avatar of yours

Cloudy

Yeah, I spent the 4th of July Restoring files.. yeppie! Oh well.. I'm just glad the forum was down the day that all happened, I posted a REAL depressing note at the top of the forum

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks