Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 07:07 AM   #1
Zbyszek

The full book title (written by Peter George) is "Dr Strangelove; OR: How I learned to stop worrying and loved the bomb." Btw. Stanley Kubric made movie based on this book. I recommend both
It was written at the beggining of 60-ties and published in UK. I am sure it could be not published in USA in 50-ties . I will explain why. Most of characters have names saying vey much about them. For example mad US general, who sends bombers with nuclear bombs to SU is called Ripper. Another US general near US president is called Turgidson "Buck" (have you seen The Fifth Element or Marsian Attacks! - oh, yes, he is that type of US military man). US president name is Merkin Muffley (do you know what is merkin? I didnt but guy who translated that book did , muff..). OK and Dr Strangelove one could say is really strange, twisted. Former nazi "doctor responsible for strange experimants" now hosted by US government. Ah.. and Soviet ambassador is called Kissoff.
What the story: bombers have been send and nobody kows how to stop them. Unfortunatelly russians have build doom machine, fully automatic, will destroy whole earth atmospere with radioactive fallout, in case someone will use nuclear weapon agains them.
The heroic fight of both countries against fate (bombers) was lost. But there is new hope, lets build mines to preserve people. Lets store machines and weapon for future, after come back. We have to preserve our mining space, procreate and come back to rule the world. We have to watch soviets just in case they are not more numerous, lets preserve weapon for tomorrow!

Loving bombs. Have you read/seen book/movie by Chuck Palahniuk "Fight Club". It is something quite different. It tells about individual fighting the system (so called western democracy). It is more serious and deal with human psyche. Tyler is twisted, but who is normal? Normality is a myth. Nobody is normal. We are all differnet, we are all twisted. Some do not eat meat, some collect stamps. Many of us can hide our true nature better or worse. Tyler was good in it.

Zbyszek

------------------

Well known expetitioner, Heffalumps hunter, friend of Boo.
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:39 AM   #2
dominions
Elminster

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the film. I found it very entertaining - remember the 'doctor' in the wheelchair that spasmodically did a nazi salute every so often? Laughed by arse off!

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 07:55 AM   #3
Zbyszek

It was doctor Strangelove himself
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote