Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Ok, a long time ago, when I was a newbie to computer game, I bought BG1 in french for 80$. Then, some time later, when the expansion came out, I bought it too, but in english...

I thought it would work out, I didn't know computer much, I simply thought some area would be in english, and other in french, but it didn't work like that, the expansion would not install over the french version. What I did was rent the english version of Baldur's Gate, and install it instead of the french one. When asked to insert the game cd, I could do it with the french cds, and it would work, and I was able to use the expansion, too.

I played the expansion for a day and then forgot about it for some unknown reason. It's been years since then, I do not have the english version anymore and all the shop that were renting computer games got rid of that game. So now I'm stuck with the english expansion and I have no use for it, and the worse part is that I paid 70$ for it.

And if this was not bad enough, the french spoken dialogs are absolutely horrible.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Try looking on Half.com or eBay for a US/UK version of BG1. I found mine online for $15 at eBay, and my copy of BG2 at Half.com for about the same price a year later.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:52 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't have a credit card, I can't shop online.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Under the assumption that 95% of the stores in Montreal sell French-scripted goods.

Then my suggestion would be for you to go to a large computer/electronic/gaming retailer or chain store and have THEM special order the english version of BG from one of their English speaking stores.

As I'm sure you know by now, the game is dirt cheap, but the cost of shipping it may jack up your total cost, then again, some big retailers DON'T charge anything when having their OWN goods being shipped from one store to another.

I don't know how old you are and you DO NOT have to tell me, but if you are older than 18, then you really ought to start applying for a credit card.

If you consistently get turned downed when applying for a card because, say... your credit rating is non-existent, then you ought to go to your Bank and apply for a 'Bank issued credit-card'.

If your account at your bank (and you do have a bank account don't you?) IS in good-standing and you hold a steady part or full-time job, they really shouldn't have any problem giving you a card.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

A peek at Luvian's birth date reveals that he is older than eighteen. He made his birth date publicly visible, why all the fuss about the age? Do you really think that Ziroc would name a ten year old kid as a moderator?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to pay some money monthly just because you own a credit card?

[ 05-28-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Vedran ]
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Go to www.interplay.com and check out their store. They are selling BG1, etc. dirt cheap. As for a monthly fee for a credit card, Verdan, many credit card companies have dropped this.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:21 PM   #7
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted by: Vedran

A peek at Luvian's birth date reveals that he is older than eighteen. He made his birth date publicly visible, why all the fuss about the age? Do you really think that Ziroc would name a ten year old kid as a moderator?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to pay some money monthly just because you own a credit card?
I'm not trying to be insulting or patronizing, it's just that it is very difficult, if not impossible to be issued a credit card if you are under the age of 18.

And how many 10 year old kids have you heard of or even met on this forum?

Probably none, so you don't need to exagerate to try and make a point.

Now there are PLENTY of intelligent and capable 15 to 17 years who could be excellent moderators.

I thought that I would ask of Luvian's age in the small outside chance that he was say, seventeen.

For all I know he's probably older than me, which is 21.

I was just trying to find a solution for him, and not trying to be insulting, sorry if you misinterpreted my last post Luvian.

Edit: I just looked at his profile and he is in fact older than me by roughly 10 months.

I should have looked there in the first place, I guess I just assumed that he was like many others on this forum who like to keep as much anonymity as possible and therefore left that question blank.

[ 05-28-2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV ]
Old 05-28-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

[quote]Originally posted by Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV:
Quote:
Posted by: Vedran
Edit: I just looked at his profile and he is in fact older than me by roughly 10 months.
[img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'll probably simply wait until I get lucky and find the english game or french expension for sale in a yard sale or something.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 11:35 PM   #9
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Not all eBay or Half.com purchases must be made with a credit card. I'm not sure if you must have a number on file to sign up, though.

You CAN order through Interplay by check. I've done it before.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Luvian, many auctioneer's on ebay will take check or money order; some even prefer it.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote