Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Major power outages reported in New York City, other parts of Northeast, Cleveland, Detroit and other cities. Details soon.

www.cnn.com

Uh oh.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 08-14-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

OMG! Here in Slovenia the weather-I am talking about such a rainstorms here- totally messed up some parts of the country...
Trees up and down,some houses are without roofs,fire was birning about 4 days but today it was the rainstorm of all rainstorms I have ever seen...
All is messed up...
Scary...

[ 08-14-2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 08-14-2003, 04:49 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Lights are on in Boston! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fortunately it appears to be a power grid problem instead of a calamity like terrorism or weather.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:55 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Hope it's just a transformer as they say. I have New York channels, and MY GOD, the crowds of people walking down the highways is bigger than on 9/11!! Subways are out. That is really silly if one --ONE-- transformer can go out, and entire cities go out, then it cascades to others! Damn, in my SIM CITY, I always have like 5 ways to the grid!

BUT...... It's light right now. When it's dark, this will be a TOTALLY different scenario guys.. BAD. crap, The NBC show Third Watch did a SHOW on the power going out in NY this past season, and showed how it gets at night.. and when heat makes people mad.

[ 08-14-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Old 08-14-2003, 05:00 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

NY Times (still online):

Power Outages Reported Along East Coast
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Power outages were reported today throughout the Northeast. Blackouts were reported north to Toronto, south to Maryland and west to Cleveland, Detroit and Toledo.

Radio reports said that subways and the Long Island Rail Road were among the modes of transportation not operating in New York. With lights off inside city buildings, people are streaming out onto the streets of Manhattan.

In Manhattan, Penn Station and subways are reportedly being evacuated. Radio reports thousands and thousands of people are on the streets wandering around, but no panic or disorder is being reported and traffic is said to be moving through Midtown Manhattan.

Niagra Mohawk power grid was overloaded, an official said, according to a radio report.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Think of all the elevators that are stuck.. The NEWER ones will stop at the NEXT floor, but older ones will be stuck unless they have backup generators..

Seeing all these people walking up the highway (100,000) or more, is haunting like 9/11.

Old 08-14-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Update:

Power Outages Reported Along East Coast
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Power outages were reported today throughout the Northeast. Blackouts were reported north to Toronto, south to Maryland and west to Cleveland, Detroit and Toledo.

The cause may have been an overload of a power grid operated by the Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation according to radio reports in New York and a radio interview with Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Radio reports said that subways and the commuter railroads were not operating in New York. With lights off and phone service spotty, people are streaming out onto the streets of Manhattan.

Mayor Bloomberg said that Con Edison officials had told him that the New York City power grid was shut down deliberately, as it was built to do, to avoid being damaged by an overload.

“We don’t know when Con Ed will power up again, but we do know it will take some time” he said. In Manhattan, Penn Station and subways are reportedly being evacuated. Radio reports thousands and thousands of people are on the streets wandering around, but no panic or disorder is being reported and traffic is said to be moving through Midtown Manhattan.

“People should go home, or stay with friends if they live far outside the city,” the mayor said. He also said that the city was calm.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

I'm reading on CNN and can someone tell me what Con Ed facility is?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I'm reading on CNN and can someone tell me what Con Ed facility is?
Con Ed is the power company [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

From the Washington Post: (They say a power grid in the Niagara Falls did it)

Massive Blackout Hits Northeast Cities

The Associated Press
Thursday, August 14, 2003; 5:20 PM

NEW YORK - A huge power blackout hit U.S. and Canadian cities Thursday, driving workers in New York and Toronto into the streets, shutting subways in blistering heat and closing four nuclear power plants in Ohio and New York state.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said there was no evidence of terrorism as a cause. "Probably a natural occurrence which disrupted the power system up there," he said, referring to a power grid based in the Niagara Falls area.

The FBI was checking into the extraordinary outages but had no immediate information about the cause, said spokesman Bill Carter in Washington. Blackouts stretched from New York City as far west as Detroit, at least.

"We have no idea how extensive it is," said an official with the Office for Emergency Management in New York City.