Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Good Evening, now that Presio is dead,I'm heading back to town(one more time) to sell & purchase, but I'm very leary of the next level, Dragons Eye 4th. I'm short on cash and I'm wondering if i should memorize the spells I found or sell them to buy better armor and potions. it's been fun & games until now, it looks like business from hereon! sorry to drag you through at a newbie level, but look at it this way, The posts are on the move and I'm still having fun...
Thanks
TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:47 AM   #2
kartetse
The Magister

[img]graemlins/shine.gif[/img]
No, problem TL! I'm only about a third of the game ahead of you.

Watch out for a couple of traps still before the end of Presio's level. There's a potential surprise ahead for the next level which I'll not spoil for you, but it will eventually be a heavy level in which guerilla tactics might be necessary - that is "hit HARD and RUN!" and rest often . For this new level I'll think it will be wise to invest in some offensive magics and then to save often.

kartetse

---------------------
do da do, kick da goo and stay outta da zoo...
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:58 AM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

TL,

Aggh! I don't remember what's on DE4! Well I guess THAT, in and of itself, is information: You shouldn't have a very hard time.

IIRC you had only one Mage, so you may be getting more spells that he/she can use, and the cash can be handy. But I agree with kartetse: don't sell you offensive magic unless you've got it memorized. Same for summoning spells (best defensive magic there is, IMHO.) Oh, and as a rule I don't buy potions: one shot and your money is gone. There are plenty to scavenge. IF you are always at a loss for potions, you are not using them sparingly enough. I almost never use them, since they provide a good source of cash.

Another way to get more money: save up items of a given type and stow them in a chest in Kuldahar. When you get enough load one character with all of them and sell all of them in ONE transaction: You'll get full price for all of them, instead of the delining price schedule you would otherwise get. This one tip can more than double the money you get for common stuff like pelts and swords+1.

I don't know much about others' philosophy; but mine is: I spend a few pennies on cheap ammo, buy a critical spell every once in a while, and save everything else for BIG ticket items (enchanted weapons and armor) that will be used for a long time.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-19-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

always finding great advice here! I do love those potions, but no time to talk about chemical dependence, I'm busy licking my wounds from trying to bull my way through level 5 in Dragons Eye. ouch, so many ways to get my ass kicked, I'm afraid to go back in and try again. I've lost my beginners luck and need some serious strategy for this battle.The halls in this temple are set up for close combat and my tanks are getting overrun in a minute flat. will try to do battle a little closer to the door so I can escape and rest up in between kills. can't figure it out, any other way.I'll always stop in to say hi! sorry I have no good advice to help out the forum, but if you help keep me alive , someday I'll be handing out a good opinion or two about battle tactics!! Stay well ...
Old 11-21-2003, 06:16 AM   #5
meatmanOO
Welcomed New User

Quote:
Originally posted by TL:
always finding great advice here! I do love those potions, but no time to talk about chemical dependence, I'm busy licking my wounds from trying to bull my way through level 5 in Dragons Eye. ouch, so many ways to get my ass kicked, I'm afraid to go back in and try again. I've lost my beginners luck and need some serious strategy for this battle.The halls in this temple are set up for close combat and my tanks are getting overrun in a minute flat. will try to do battle a little closer to the door so I can escape and rest up in between kills. can't figure it out, any other way.I'll always stop in to say hi! sorry I have no good advice to help out the forum, but if you help keep me alive , someday I'll be handing out a good opinion or two about battle tactics!! Stay well ...
Hi sis,
yep its your little brother lol. it fun to see someone get hooked on a game. since we have been talking so much about IWD i have reloaded the game myself. as u know i am soloing my fighter/cleric (3/17). i have to say i have been having a ball. i was in dorns deep when i popped into HOW to see waht that was about. good thing i am a high level cleric, thats all i'll say about that for now.
anyway hang in there, this battle is not easy esp for a beginers. it will teach you to use all your party members to there fullest which will make the following battle a bit easyer

well time to get ready for work and remember the help line is always open lol...

[ 11-21-2003, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: meatmanOO ]
Old 11-21-2003, 07:46 AM   #6
OLAF TRYGGRYSON
Dungeon Master

TL I don't know if you have tried this but, I like to bait the bad guys out one at a time. I take my thief Hide in shadows and sneak forward to see where everyone is. Then I move the rest of the party up just so you can see one bad guy. He will usually attack. Let him come at you while you beat on him with missle weapons. If that does'nt kill him, when he gets close go melee with just the Tanks and it should bring him down. This strat does'nt work on all the battles however it does work real well in clearing out hoards of undead and beetles and all the others one at a time before they can attack you en masse. I hope this works for you....
Old 11-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
TL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow, we've got closet gamers showing their faces!! Well, I've been beating on the trolls and lizard men , baiting them to me,(thanxs) and then running out the door to catch my breath. What concerns me, is that everytime I go back in,Eldathyn, summons up more of them. will he ever run out, or is this because I keep leaving to rest,it seems endless to me, kind of like, that bad movie, Groundhog Day.I'm heading back in, at least I get to pick up the money after I kill the trolls. Hey meatman, I still think you need a fire throwing mage!!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
OLAF TRYGGRYSON
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Wow, we've got closet gamers showing their faces!! Well, I've been beating on the trolls and lizard men , baiting them to me,(thanxs) and then running out the door to catch my breath. What concerns me, is that everytime I go back in,Eldathyn, summons up more of them. will he ever run out, or is this because I keep leaving to rest,it seems endless to me, kind of like, that bad movie, Groundhog Day.I'm heading back in, at least I get to pick up the money after I kill the trolls. Hey meatman, I still think you need a fire throwing mage!!
Answer/SPOILER If your interested
TL DE lvl 4 Has the High Summoner character. You have to Kill him to stop all the spawning baddies.When you find him focus all you attacks soley on him. It should'nt take long then problem solved
Old 11-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by TL:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
As well if you need help there is a group of adventures locked in one of the rooms. They will help you in your fight however the downside is they will steal some of the experiance when they kill creatures.

[ 11-21-2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:00 PM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Note also that every time you load new creatures are summoned, so its not too good to save/load here unnecessarily too much