Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
Ares

Alright, my friend just installed BG2 + ToB, then installed the Official patch, then the Game text patch, then installed the Baldurdash fixpack (the correct order, or so i've heard). It was working fine while I was watching him play for like half an hour..alright, so he has to leave for practice, gets back, fires up the game..now whenever he tries to rest it boots him to the desktop, no error messages or anything.
When he was playing earlier, he was resting all the time and I commented thats what I used to do..so we know it worked earlier, all he did was leave for like 5-6 hours and now the game decides to crash when resting

The only thing i can think of is that his resting movie (he hasnt gotten out of Irenicus' dungeon yet, so its the dungeon vid for resting) has somehow been screwed over..but I dont understand how just leaving for 6 hours messes it up when he didnt screw with it or anything =\

Any ideas?

edit] nevermind, I had him disable the movies and it works fine now, thanks anyway

[ 12-01-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Ares ]
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:08 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I agree 100%--it sounds like the dungeon movie is causing the crash, and I have no idea why a few hours would make any difference whatsoever.

I have a similar problem on my computer, except of greater magnitude: If any movie locks up while playing, I don't just get booted to the desktop, the whole machine locks up and I have to Restart. Happily, I have found that having Media Player open in the background, and playing an MP3, greatly reduces the risk of freezing up. You might try that.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
Ares

It might have had something to do with his motherboard, as it was an Intel VIA chipset and they have a known problem with crashing during movies (so the page says anyway). I just took the easy solution and had him disable movies altogether (they ran like crap anyway, PIII 600, 128 ram, Voodoo3000, Win98SE) since he's not the greatest with PC know-how.

The thing that really got me was the fact it only sat a few hours and decided it didn't like him.

edit - Six, did you research the problem? If you have an Intel board it might be causing it.

Try going here
http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows...wn_issues/#via

[ 12-02-2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ares ]
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
Binge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had this exact same problem a couple months ago (of which you helped me Six [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

I could never get it to go away completely, and i pretty much stopped playing becuase of it. Once I get some time and motivation back I'll have to give the solutions they give on that page a try. I have a VIA chipset Intel system, so its very likely.
Binge is offline   Reply With Quote