Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

If i hadn't lost it before, it's driven home right now.

The development team of, what is lovingly called in the Fallout fandom as, FOPOS have closed their forum for this game due to the overwhelming critisism about this game. And now they have said that they will ban members or close all threads in the general discussion forum about this game too. Odly enough, lately, most of the critisism isn't comming from the Fallour fandom anymore but from more general sites.

Looks to be head in the sands politics. You can only post if you are a total fanboy so it seems. As long as you sing their praises, it's all good. Funny but if i would get this much critique from so many different sources, i might stop to think twice about how the game is being made.

Oh and if anybody wonders, i got this news from the NMA site
Old 05-15-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Can you provide links to the information?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 05-15-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Can you provide links to the information?
Try this

www.nma-fallout.com

It should be on the first page you see, just scroll down a bit.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #4
Skunk
Banned User

Here is the original post:
http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=21428

Now, now - be nice to the product, even if it is awful...
Old 05-15-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer

Thanks. Found it.

Took me a while to figure out the FOS reference but DOH! the light finally dawned.

I haven't followed this topic, so give me the short skinny - are people hacked off because BOS (or POS if you prefer) is a console only game and not the long awaited FO3?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 05-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Thanks. Found it.

Took me a while to figure out the FOS reference but DOH! the light finally dawned.

I haven't followed this topic, so give me the short skinny - are people hacked off because BOS (or POS if you prefer) is a console only game and not the long awaited FO3?
Partially, i will admit to that. You would too if they have said over and over that they will start development on it and then come out with another game. Let's go over it. Their have been 8 games (games and expansions) produced using the infinity engine but only 3 Fallout games in roughly the same time span and when IPLY then tells us that the SPECIAL system and Fallout was the best thing the happen to them, let alone being one of the most succesful in-house prducts and a license they own in contrast to the D&D one, it makes us a bit pissed.

But other concerns are that they don't hold true to the setting. Just search for a few screenshots and you'll now. The one of the ghoul is the best one for proving this points.

Aside from that, the storyline is full of holes and very unoriginal. When i was reading it for the first time, i saw a reusage of the storyline from the first RPG.

And one other thing or the graphics. This is the point where they got the most criticism from console sites. They just look awfull. For a console title, graphics are a very important thing and then to come out with graphics like the were made in 1997 isn't a good idea.

Besides the fact that they don't want to get feedback anymore (or only positive) tells you how much they care for the customer these days.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Thanks for the update. I just can't for the life of me figure out WHY Iplay hasn't done a FO3 yet, and chose to do the FOBOS as a console game. I'll take your word on the FOBOS graphics - I don't play console games (*gasp* - sacrilege).

Old 05-15-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

that's not a suprise, FOPOS need to do that in order to save their face. other game developers will do the same.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:22 AM   #9
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
that's not a suprise, FOPOS need to do that in order to save their face. other game developers will do the same.
I don't fully agree with this. Some others will do the same, others have more integrity. One example is when Fallout tactics was created. People like Chris Taylor visited, not only the Interplay forums but also those on NMA and DAC on a daily basis, giving updates on progress, asking for feedback on ideas they had been toying around with, giving us first crack at the demo, etc. They got a lot of critique too but they stuck with it, trying to convince us that what they were thinking off was good and changing their minds if we came up with good suggestions. A lot of what we suggested never made into the game but we also did manage to convince them to change a lot. Those developers knew that we were around these games as long or longer then some of them and looked to us for input. Ultimately they could still do with it what they wanted but they knew we had a right to speak out because we have shown over the past that we did a lot of things like making mods and so on, so they knew we had a good understanding of the setting. But now, Chuky boy (Chuck Cuevas) has posted on the NMA forum about 3 times. When Christ Taylor had posted a lot more in roughly the same time from the beginning of development. And when Chuck posted something, he didn't gave any info, just some wisecrack remarks scoffing the fans. The Fallout community is one of the most 'vocal' and highly critical communities out there. The developers need to realise that.