Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2001, 11:10 PM   #11
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
Well I have never read Harry Potter nor have I seen the film. One of the wonderful things about the free world, is that there is such an incredible diversity of people and preferences, and providing no laws are broken or participants in their enjoyment are not abused or violated, then we are free to pick and chose that which suits our particular tastes. Fantasy is an incredibly broad genre and while many will not like Harry Potter based on their preferences, many will also enjoy it immensley.
J. J. my friend, I am very happy to hear that you and Amanda had a wonderful time watching Harry Potter together.
Trip to the movies, 25-30 dollars.
Harry Potter, the ultimate in fantasy? Probably not.
J. J. and Amanda loved it and had a wonderful time! PRICELESS!

ahhh... a mastercard example

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Barloc ]

Old 11-18-2001, 11:12 PM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Details...very well:

I dislike Harry Potter because, IMHO, he ruins the Fantasy genere.

Kids that read it are going think that is fantasy, and well, its not. They are going to grow up thinking Harry Potter, opoised to Dirrzt Do'urden, Tanis Half-Elven, Gandalg, Frodo, Elminster, Tasselhoff Burrfoot, is fantasy.

They are going to think that "The Socerers Stone" is a good read, when There is IWD and The DragonLance Chronicals, the list gose on.

They are going to think that the Fantasy Genere consists of "Magic Tricks" as to Raistlin Going back in time.

As to The Rings in LotRs.

As to The Crystal Shard.

Thats why I dislike Harry Poter. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh come now.. Harry Potter IS Fantasy. It's just a different type, and I thought the movie was great! It is more for kids, but I've never read any of the books, so it was all 'new' to me..

I thought it was good, but the 'troll' looked more like a giant to me.. Trolls are much shorter and green and you need fire to kill them. But I did wish there was more monsters in the movie..

You can't base everything on LotR and D&D.. Every generation has their 'own' thing.. we have Transformers and GIJOE as cartoons, and some of you younger folks here have Teenage Mutant Turtles and Power Rangers.. see where I'm going? Don't close your mind to everything, take a chance and you might just like it!

I'll say this: The Potter Movie totally KILLED the 'Dungeons & Dragons' Movie, BIG TIME.

I can't wait to see The Lord of the Rings... I am HOPING it's done well. In the trailers, I have yet to see a Hobit.. Only humans.. It LOOKS to be big budget, but as you know, that doesn't mean diddly (Waterworld) [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Where is them there Harry Potter Smilies??!?!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 11-18-2001, 11:18 PM   #13
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
because its what i call 'imitation fantasy'. the only real elements of fantasy in them are magic and a few of the monsters, thats it. no Elves, no Orcs, no Dwarves, no Halflings/Hobbits, no real Gnomes, nothing! also, i could do a better job than Rowling, i'm sure...

What do you mean, 'imitation fantasy'? Surely fantasy's fantasy. I would think the beauty of the genre is that it can be anything it wants to be. Why should it include every race, every monster, every element so-called 'real fantasy' has? That would be a bit boring wouldn't it? The only problem I have with Harry Potter, and I haven't read any, is that people call it the 'new Enid Blyton'. What do we need a new Enid for? The old one rocked, and still does !
Old 11-18-2001, 11:27 PM   #14
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I am not closing my mind.

I am jsut saying LotR and DND, thats what fantasy is.

You wouldnt make a comedy and call it a mystoriy, cause thas not what it is.

Harry Potter isnt Fantasy, so I dont think you should call him that.

And how would I be closing my mind if I mentioned both LotR and DND? There 2 diffrent things.

Harry Potter isnt fantasy. The only element of fantasy to it is that he was a wizard, and none of his spells or wizardness is orginal, at least not what I rember.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:41 PM   #15
The.Relic
Red Dragon

As humans, we are fond of breaking every subject into sub-groups and often insisting that they are not related. We rarely think of Science Fiction or Romance novels as fantasy, but in fact, they are. The following is the Websters Dictionay online definition of fantasy.

fan·ta·sy (fnt-s, -z)
n. pl. fan·ta·sies
The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.
Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.

Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.
An example of such fiction.
An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
Music. See fantasia.
A coin issued especially by a questionable authority and not intended for use as currency.
Obsolete. A hallucination.

We are all entitled to our own preferences in taste, but with all due respect, Harry Potter is as much fantasy as is Star Wars, or the dream I had last night of Angelina Jolie.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:48 PM   #16
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:

fan·ta·sy (fnt-s, -z)
n. pl. fan·ta·sies
The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.
Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.

We are all entitled to our own preferences in taste, but with all due respect, Harry Potter is as much fantasy as is Star Wars, or the dream I had last night of Angelina Jolie.

Yes! Exactly! It's not very fantastic to have a fantasy genre in which you're told, right! Here are the spells you're allowed to use. Here are the monsters. Here are the races. You must use them all, no less, and CERTAINLY no more. No imagination, please! We've got our fantasy world, and that's all we want
Old 11-18-2001, 11:58 PM   #17
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Your all missing my point.

Harry Potter isnt the kind of fantasy that should be grouped with things like DL and FR and LotR and The Death Dealer serries.

I guess Harry Potter is fantasy in the way of bending the way real life happens.

Buts it not Fantasy as in what the genere of fantasy is supouse to be.

Now dont (like you have been doing) take that as "You can only have Elfs,Dwarfs Gnomes, Trolls, and Gaints" You can do anything you want and call it fantasy as long as it has a fantasy consept. Harry Potter dosent.

And Z,

You said Trolls can onlky be killed with Fire, isnt that being close minded to DnD?
Old 11-19-2001, 12:10 AM   #18
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi Grand-Ranger!
Actually I do understand your point, and you are right, Harry Potter doesn't fit into the same sub-group of fantasy with LoTR, DL, FR etetera. And I honestly don't beleive that anyone in this thread made any effort to try and catergorize Harry Potter with them. I re-read the posts just to make sure.
J. J. was just sharing his views on the fantasy film, "Harry Potter". I think the thread may have gotten confused in that you stated that Harry Potter isn't "fantasy", meaning that it didn't qualify in the same sense with LoTR and others, which is absolutely correct. While in the broad spectrum it is fantasy which the rest of us were trying to point out, because we didn't realize that you were specifying a particular venue of fantasy. There is "No harm, no foul" here as far as I can see. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2001, 12:10 AM   #19
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Well I have never read Harry Potter nor have I seen the film. One of the wonderful things about the free world, is that there is such an incredible diversity of people and preferences, and providing no laws are broken or participants in their enjoyment are not abused or violated, then we are free to pick and chose that which suits our particular tastes. Fantasy is an incredibly broad genre and while many will not like Harry Potter based on their preferences, many will also enjoy it immensley.
J. J. my friend, I am very happy to hear that you and Amanda had a wonderful time watching Harry Potter together.
Trip to the movies, 25-30 dollars.
Harry Potter, the ultimate in fantasy? Probably not.
J. J. and Amanda loved it and had a wonderful time! PRICELESS!

Thank you, The. Relic, you have summed up the specific and relative costs most succinctly

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 11-19-2001, 12:26 AM   #20
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Your all missing my point.

Harry Potter isnt the kind of fantasy that should be grouped with things like DL and FR and LotR and The Death Dealer serries.

I guess Harry Potter is fantasy in the way of bending the way real life happens.

Buts it not Fantasy as in what the genere of fantasy is supouse to be.

Now dont (like you have been doing) take that as "You can only have Elfs,Dwarfs Gnomes, Trolls, and Gaints" You can do anything you want and call it fantasy as long as it has a fantasy consept. Harry Potter dosent.

And Z,

You said Trolls can onlky be killed with Fire, isnt that being close minded to DnD?

Huh? Trolls have always
alwaysalways
(did not want to wait for the scripts box)
been susceptable to fire, what not on this earth are you talking about?

Now, remember, Z, and Relic, these guys are at the age where they are 'absolutists, or purists' - do you remember it? that time when hypocrisy and take-off seemed rampant in your life? I remember it well, don't be too hard on these guys. .Relic, you DID understand what I was saying, as Z did go see it - it is fun! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm