Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #1
Atrix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Help i am at the begining of act 3. And i keep getting attacked by a bunch of vampires, who quickly wipe out my party.
I get the message that my party's weapons have no effect and i can not use magic because i am in he city.
Is there a special way to deal with vampires or am i just missing somthing.

Thanks
Atrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:46 PM   #2
fable
Quintesson

Um, there should be no message that you can't use magic in the city. Perhaps you're misreading it? You can use magic all you like. But if you don't pay for a license, you'll be attacked by Cowled Wizards for using magic.

As to vampires, have you read the spell lists for clerics? If so, you know what you need to do. And don't you have good weapons? You should have done some quests by now, and acquired a few nicely enchanted weapons to use.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:47 PM   #3
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I dont understand y ur weapons wouldnt have any affect?? But mayb u need magical wepaons.. U got them???
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

If you have the amulet of power, make sure you use it, and send whoever is wearing it into the front line, making all the vampires go for him/her. You need to have magical weapons, of course - any +1 weapons will work. Just be careful, and make whoever has any protection from level drain go up front.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
Daniel_M
Elminster

Ah, you can use magic in the city as long as your not attacking someone with it. A useful spell for this is Negitive plane protection which makes you immune to level drain. Another way is to equip the Amulet of power which you get from Aran Linvail which does the same thing but its lasts longer. Another way of dealing with the undead is set up your party in a narrow space and put your Fighter with the highest AC at the front with negitive plane protection, also use items and spells that allow you free action and protection against paralysis, hold and charm spells.

----------------------

[img]graemlins/mage1.gif[/img]

When darkness covers the sun
There is still a light to save my soul
Send me an Angel...
Old 01-18-2002, 07:27 PM   #6
fable
Quintesson

I believe the Mace of Disruption +2 also protects against level drain.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:55 PM   #7
Sir Michael
Manshoon

Interestingly, you can use clerical magic in the city, whether or not you are attacking someone with it (e.g. flame strike or firestorm), without attracting the attention of the Cowls (assuming you don't hurt innocents), but you can't use any wizardly magic - not even protection spells, without drawing undue attention to yourself.
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Sir Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yep. Negative Plane Protection and a low AC are the way to go, although I notice the smarter enemies (like Vampires) seem to sense who's the most vulnerable to them--like my Archer. They cast Dire Charm as well. Just cast a Summon Buffy & you'll be OK.

(I hear you can attack folks with magic all you want, as long as it's indoors. And do the Cowled Wizards even care about Priest spells?)
Old 01-18-2002, 09:23 PM   #9
Ike YarakZ
Dungeon Master

That is why wen eva sum one or two or three attack(s) me outdoors, i lure them indoors to use magic and banish them from existance [img]smile.gif[/img]

Happily the CW dun care'bout Priest/Druid Spells... Weird tho...

PEACE
Old 01-19-2002, 04:20 AM   #10
strangelove
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SPOILER
Along with the other recommendations, I recommend picking up the long sword DayStar. You can find this at the inn in the City Gates section of athkatla. There's a secret door in the upper left corner of the room. Inside there is a small (almost closet sized) room with a Lich inside. The sword is very easy to get without even fighting the Lich, due to the room's small size. Send a thief in while he's hidden in shadows so the lich doesn't see him, pick the lock on the chest behind the lich, grab the sword, and run out the door. If you're quick enough, the lich will be in the middle of casting a spell, likely Time Stop, as you depart with the sword. No fight needed. You may want to drink a potion of Master Thievery to make sure the lock pick works. A bit cheesy, but then, so is sticking a Lich in a closet at the back of an inn (IMHO).

DayStar will allow anyone wielding it to cast the cleric spell SunRay, which is devastating to Vampires, often killing them instantly. It's also just a darn good weapon.

-sb