Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Fellow gamers,

My question is:

1.) What does the message "Arundel: Boots have no effect," mean?

I have HoW/ToTL installed; and have just finished up the Vale. I have noticed, for a while, that I get the above message every time I return to Kuldahar from the Vale.

One of my fighters is wearing "boots of free action;" but I don't know if this is why I am getting the message. And, *IF* it is the reason, why don't the boots work in town?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Rolper
Dungeon Master

I got that message when my thief was wearing "boots of speed" and a "ring of free action" it seems that the "ring" negated the "boots" effect. What else is your char wearing?
Rolper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:58 PM   #3
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes the ring will negate the effects from the boots of speed. It says so specifically in the rings discription.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:12 PM   #4
Rolper
Dungeon Master

But it seems to be such a great idea... a fast thief who doesn't get caught by tangles and stuff... ah well.
Rolper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 04:11 AM   #5
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

It does seem like a great idea, doesn't it, only that would be to uber. Emagine this. Thief goes stealthed or quaffs potion of invisibility, goes to backstab, runs away, enemy mage cast web, thief laughs as he walks through them unmolested, runs out of sight, rince, repeat.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:39 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

O.K., let me give a little more detail:

Everyone in my party has NO BOOTS; and only a few have a magical ring, etc. When I bring the party members into Kuldahar, whether it is all at once (full party) or ONE AT A TIME, I still get the following message (verbatim), each and every time:

Arundel- Uneffected by effects from boots

"Arundel-" appears in light blue (cyan?) type; and I think the "Uneffected ... boots" appears in yellow type.

Any more ideas?
Old 02-14-2002, 04:59 PM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

You can pick pocket a ring of free action from him, iirc. So he might aswell be wearing some boots which the rings effect negate the special effect from the boots.

I don't know if that made sense at all.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:05 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Arundel bought some boots and the local mall that were supposed to make him lose weight and tone his abs overnight, but they don't work correctly. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Seriously, Arundel has some boots in his inventory (I don't remember what kind) but, being a druid, he is immune to their effect; hence, "Arundel: Boots have no effect" shows when you enter the area.

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:23 PM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

Ah, my friend Azred! Thank you!

I can feel a pick-pocketing adventure creeping up on me ...
Old 02-14-2002, 11:25 PM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

And you, too, Jansen!