Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM   #31
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:

Didnt the US belong to the Indians before you people stole it? Why don't you start by turning your ground over to them?

ROFL...You'll love this one!

My Great Grandmother is Cherokee Indian!
I do have my own land!
How can I turn it over to myself?
Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM   #32
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Larry, this is not a flippant question. Would you kill someone to protect your family?

The old testement command "Thou Shalt not Kill" was not an absolute, there are half a bazillion instances when "God" has commanded man to do just the opposite, to allow someone to harm or kill people you are responsible for protecting(the Bible lays that job squarely on the MEN as the leader of the family) would be the greater sin..thus the common interpretation would more accurately reflect "Thou Shalt not Kill lightly or capriciously"

Old 01-24-2002, 12:27 PM   #33
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
But what "harm unto others" is being done here? It is not like the petrol in question would be used by anyone else. The only people who lost out here were the theives, even if they had pulled it off the petrol station owner would not have lost anything. He had already abandoned what was there. Someone mentioned it earlier - "plundering" is probably a better term in this context.

heh [img]smile.gif[/img] in this case the "harm" came to those who did the dirty deed so to speak, Im sure given the chance to do this again they would probably chose differently. I seriously doubt that they were taking the gas for pristine and noble reasons..but we will never know..thats to the volitility of the situation...so to speak

Old 01-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #34
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

ROFL...You'll love this one!

My Great Grandmother is Cherokee Indian!
I do have my own land!
How can I turn it over to myself?

Hey Larry good reply [img]smile.gif[/img] I was told that I also have some minute portion of Native American blood but Great Grandpa died before I ever got a chance to ask about it. Mostly Im just German and Polish..most of my ancestors didnt immigrate till well into the 1890's so are not responsible for stealing anything from anyone...nor do we have to feel guilty about slavery in the colonies.

Old 01-24-2002, 12:32 PM   #35
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Dreamer, darlin' - don't get your feathers ruffled.

Nobody here is trying to 'convert' you or trying to say that you can't believe what you believe.

We are stating our views and that is all. But I will say this - be careful how you throw about the word 'fanatic', please. That word is used far too often to describe someone of religious conviction.

I, for one, don't think Larry is being fanatical. He is stating how, through faith in God, he views this situation and others like it.

k? [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:33 PM   #36
MagiK

[img]smile.gif[/img] Dreamer did you know, the earth being some several billion years old
there isnt a single person alive today who is living on land that was not at some point the home of someone or something else at one time or another..shall we just give it aall back to the protozoan and build a new world to call our own??

Laugh people, laugh [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2002, 12:33 PM   #37
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Larry, this is not a flippant question. Would you kill someone to protect your family?

I actually do not know what flippant means...but I think I get the jist of it. OK...This is probably going to get me deep into contraversy, but you asked and I will show you respect and answer. Our Church believes in the law of the land as well as God's Law. They are built upon the same principles. To go outside my home and take something that does not belong to me would not spiritually uplift my family, though temporarily, it may, physically. Once I see the eternal consequence of my decision, I can make the appropriate choice.
Now for killing to protect. If a man broke into my home and was going to harm my family...the law of the land states that I have a right to protect my family. Thus, I would not be punished by the law, as self defence is justified, though there are lawyers that get paid to try and prove that the intruder was unjustly murdered in my home. We won't even go there.
Basically, I am taught to go with what the Spirit of the Lord directs. If he asks for me to sacrifice my family and myself, (Rememer Abraham and his son), then I should not have to think about it. If I feel that I am told to raise the blade against my enemy by that same Spirit, then I have no doubt that the murder is justified in the eyes of God.

Now, very important point here>>>I am not saying that I would readily sacrifice my child like Abraham was ready to do. He had more faith than I think that I would ever have. All of these posts of mine are based onn what I know I am supposed to do...not what I will have the courage and strength to do. That is the difference. When the time comes...will I be strong enough? This question has plagued my dreams for a long time. Always, somebody else has come into my dream and did what I dd not have the courage and strength to do.
Will I ever acheive that level of strength? I cannot answer.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #38
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Also - very good points, Larry and MagiK, re: the Native American issue. I, too, have Cherokee blood in my veins. My ancestors didn't run anyone off of any land nor enslave people here. Also, some of my family line only goes back a few generations...
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #39
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My family heritage is:
Cherokee and German on my father's side.
Cherokee and Scottish on my mother's side. (Maiden name=McGee)
Old 01-24-2002, 12:45 PM   #40
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

I actually do not know what flippant means...but I think I get the jist of it. OK...This is probably going to get me deep into contraversy, but you asked and I will show you respect and answer. Our Church believes in the law of the land as well as God's Law. They are built upon the same principles. To go outside my home and take something that does not belong to me would not spiritually uplift my family, though temporarily, it may, physically. Once I see the eternal consequence of my decision, I can make the appropriate choice.
Now for killing to protect. If a man broke into my home and was going to harm my family...the law of the land states that I have a right to protect my family. Thus, I would not be punished by the law, as self defence is justified, though there are lawyers that get paid to try and prove that the intruder was unjustly murdered in my home. We won't even go there.
Basically, I am taught to go with what the Spirit of the Lord directs. If he asks for me to sacrifice my family and myself, (Rememer Abraham and his son), then I should not have to think about it. If I feel that I am told to raise the blade against my enemy by that same Spirit, then I have no doubt that the murder is justified in the eyes of God.

Now, very important point here>>>I am not saying that I would readily sacrifice my child like Abraham was ready to do. He had more faith than I think that I would ever have. All of these posts of mine are based onn what I know I am supposed to do...not what I will have the courage and strength to do. That is the difference. When the time comes...will I be strong enough? This question has plagued my dreams for a long time. Always, somebody else has come into my dream and did what I dd not have the courage and strength to do.
Will I ever acheive that level of strength? I cannot answer.

Easy solution to this.
Try making friends with a few non-christians who won't mind it if they feel it is justified, then rent them space and if you're family is threatened, they'll act for you! (not being sarcastic here at all, honest!