Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 AM   #1
Mirror Image
Manshoon

I get the impression I should go back to a save and start over. I went in without having imoen preping the wish spell. My PC sorcerer character can't do that spell. Any way we beat Mel in the first battle, moved to the air prince and got him. Fought mel again and got through it (concentrated on her and used Minsc's super Whirlwind), then took on the ice prince and his trolls.

Now comes the problem. In the third battle she teleports rapidly away drawing some of my group with her (the fast ones: boots of speed). The rest have it out with shadow slayers. Before we cut the flow off we summoned a magic sword and a Deva which seem imune to her attacks but not the shadow slayers. Now if I can keep the group close early and deal with the shadows we can then concentrate on Mel when she comes back. Got her once with only the loss of Keldorn, but he was the one with resurrection.

I quess my question is, is there something I can use to drive off the Shadow slayers.
Mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:52 AM   #2
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

try to get them concentrated on someone wit h negative plane protection.

If you will post your group members, levels and equipment it will be somewhat easier to answer.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Bring out your summons before Melissan shows up and use them not to *drive off* but to *hold off* those shadow slayers. Skeleton Warriors and Mordy Swords can hold them off for a while, and that's precisely what you need. The objective is to hold them off just *long* (actually quite a brief period) enough for you to get Melissan to flee again.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

You definitely want your main tanks hitting Melissan as hard as you can at all times, avoid getting them distracted by her summons. You can spend a lot of energy killing the slayer shadows and various denizens of the abyss and she'll just keep bringing out more of them.

If you can get a planetar, two skeles, and two mordies, you should be able to keep Melissan's summons attention long enough to hit her.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Mirror Image
Manshoon

In answer to an earlier response my group consists of.
My PC, Sorcerer type, Level 25
Sarevok, Lev 29, now Chaotic Good
Keldorn, lev 27
Minsc, Lev 25
Imoen, lev 23 and she has yet to slayer out yet.
Viconnia, Lev 29, still evil and flirting with Sarevok.

Question to mordie, doesn't the restriction to 5 summons limit the effectiveness of my summons in holding actons. In the same regard is Mel restricted to only five summons at once. In short if I Maze a few summons will that stop her from summoning replacements.

Finally, my group is showing fatique, any ideas
Old 05-21-2004, 12:10 AM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't think there's summon limit for Melissan. If you give her break to summon when she's low on goon counts, I think she will summon more regardless of how you lower the amount of her goons. That's why you should focus on Melissan and efficiently beat her to low HP every time she shows up.

you can use the Project Image cheese to get more summons.

the fatique problem -- cast Wish from scrolls, and pick the party rest wish (you can actually save the game between battles and so you can reload to get the option if it didn't show up when you cast it).

IIRC (been a long time since I last fought the standard final battle), your party with 5 summons (no need to use PI cheese) is capable of winning the battle, but quite a tough fight, and casting a Wish spell is almost inevitable (well, for me anyway). If you find the battle simply too tough, you can always level your party some more (get Sarevok cross lvl 30, and Keldorn and Minsc around 28-29).
Old 05-21-2004, 01:27 AM   #7
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Well its over and these maybe spoilers.

I used several high level summons and then I turned the AI off. This allowed me to send my team against Mel without any chance of them being distracted. We got past her third battle and then finished off the fallen Solar and her minions (by casting dispell magic).

After this is was confront mel one last time and for one last time turn into the slayer (the only time since the start of the game).

Whats interesting is I was not confronted with any of the defeated bhaal spawn as some other post indicate. I guess these only occur when the mods are attached. Anyway I completed it both ways and was surprised that Elminster didn't show up to put his two bits in. Or atleast Cyric showing up to try and eliminate the potential new god of death. Just too quiet of an ending.