Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sad

It's a litigious world, folks. Should the golf course be liable?

Mr Hong has not played golf since the incident
Golf is not often seen as a dangerous pastime.
But 42-year-old company director Terry Hong Kee Siong needed 38 stitches after a crocodile grabbed his leg as he was playing at Malaysia's A Famosa Resort.

Mr Hong is now suing the resort for damages, saying he has not hit a golf ball since the incident, which happened in January.

Mr Hong said he was looking for his golf ball at the seventh hole, when he stepped on what he thought was a piece of wood.

"It turned out to be a crocodile," he said. "It bit me."

The reptile then attempted to drag him into a pond, but he managed to escape by hitting it on the head, local media said.

This is not the first time Malaysian golfers have had to cope with unexpected guests during play.

Gibbons often turn up to watch, and a five-metre python made an appearance on a Malaysian golf course in February.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3727671.stm
Old 05-19-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I don't see why, unless the crocodile was put there as some kind of publicity draw (golf with the alligators! ) Otherwise, it seems to me that, unless there was some kind of incompetence that allowed the croc to get into the golf course, you can't hold the golf course responsible for something happen because of a wild animal. Also, it's not like he lost the leg, and is permanently damaged (I've had 38 stitches in my face) and can't work. I would hardly call golf a legal right that he's been deprived of. I can see it being fair for the company to pay any medical damages, but not beyond that. Of course, I subscribe to a fairly minimalist legal view (I don't think you should be able to sue for that many reasons.)

What the guy should do, is pitch the idea to the PGA. If there were crocodiles in the water and vipers in the sandtraps, I know I would watch televised golf.