Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I seem to recall that a while ago, a few modders were trying to allow players to play Baldurs Gate II with the Icewind Dale II engine. Does anyone know if anything good ever came out of this? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

No. The Icewind Gate module is to be found at weidu.org, but it's full of holes and super unbalanced. They gave EVERY monster some levels of rogue for some reason, causing every monster to sneak attack you. A normal golem does enough damage by itself, but when it gets 15 sneak attack on top of that, it's just no fun anymore.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I see. Well, that's a shame. The idea was great. Perhaps I'll try BGTutu instead. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

that would be cool if it worked, i liked the feats options and how you got extra stat points as you progressed in level. the dex modifier for armour made more sense too.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Anyone know if its still a work in progress?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Well officially it is I believe, but the forum has been quite dead for over a year, and I haven't noticed anyone releasing any info during that time.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

I like the idea except that they keep the old BGII weapon sprites. I really find the BGII weapons repulsive most of the time.

Also, I'm a bit worried on how stats are handled for NPCs.

[ 01-22-2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Jerr Conner ]
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

because they would get better as the game progresses, and make it un balanced? I prefer the way bg has portraits down the right hand side of the screen, instead of little ones in the corner, although the changeable interface if IWD is good!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by timothy trotter:
because they would get better as the game progresses, and make it un balanced? I prefer the way bg has portraits down the right hand side of the screen, instead of little ones in the corner, although the changeable interface if IWD is good!
The thing about IWDII's engine is that the more you progress, the better (harder) some monsters get. I think that using that engine wouldn't neccessarily unbalance the game. The engine is set to make the game a bit harder as the party levels. Sure, by only adding more monsters, but this matters when in some battles your party will be facing more demons.

And admitedly, BGII seems a bit unbalanced when you get to the uber levels and can kill bosses quite easily (other than the main ones, Irenicus and Mellisan.)

What I was getting at with stats is that in BGII, most players are used to characters having certain stats through all of the game. This changes when every 4 levels you get to up stats for a character. This means that stats would have to be changed at the beginning to make the game more balance. Also the other problem, IMO, is the 3rd Edition Rules.

I love the 3rd edition rules. It's great that 3rd edition rules allow classes to use any weapon they wish. I also love the feats. However, how will NPCs multi-class? I mean, it'd seem very out of place to multi-class Mazzy Fentan into a Fighter/Cleric of Mask.

Though from what I've read Ice Gate II is unbalanced in that every monster can sneak attack.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

sorry, i dodn't make myself clear, i was thinking it, but didn't mention it, i was refering to the point you made about gaining stat points