Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

hey every1.

i am currently playing a solo mage (a necromancer to be exact) and i do not have TOB installed (a friend has my copy...) and i have reached my XP cap and am about to enter saldunesselar.

I have defeated firkraag, the shaddow dragon and all other foes that have stood in my way but am wondering if anybody thinks if my character is a match for irenicus. I think that i may be in the need for 'time stop' in order to be able to defeat irenicus...

does anybody else think that without level 9 spells or high level abilities that my solo mage is unlikely to defeat irenicus?

i wanna kinda get a larger point of view because if anybody else doesn't think i'd be able to defeat him because if not i'll wait till i get my disks back (which may be some time...) and then do some extra quests and some of the watcher's keep to get some more levels and then show irenicus what spell casting is about [img]smile.gif[/img]
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

SPOILER
IIRC you have to beat Irenicus twice, so if you feel you can beat him the first time WITHOUT turning into the Slayer, then I would say 'go for it'. Make a savegame ,though.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Are you playing with the Tactics mod? I had trouble with the final battles not having Time Stop when playing Improved Irenicus...but that might just be me.

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I guess you can do it, but it'll be much harder. If you're soloing, you really should have level 9 spells by the time you get to him (you get level 9 spells at level 18). I have a party of 6 and Edwin is level 17, and he'll probably be around 19/20 by the time he gets to Irenicus. It shouldn't make sense to have a mage in a party of 6 have more XP than a solo mage, so it simply means that you missed a handfull of quests. Did you do windspear hills, trademeet, umar hills, and the keep? Go around Athkatla and look around for quests. The stronghold quests are particularly XP rewarding.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I get the feeling that if Rockstar is playing with Tactics installed, he would know about it, and know that a Solo Necromancer (no Project Image!) hasn't got a prayer of beating Improved Irenicus without every HLA and cheese in the book. Therefore I feel safe in tell him to go right ahead, regular Irenicus (both of them) is an absolute doddle, just make sure to have some good Summons available and be ready to think on your feet. Note: I'm not saying the final level is easy, just that Irenicus is.

Then again, if you want to continue playing the game, you're going to have to install ToB soon. Very, very soon, in fact. So you can either
a) Stop playing right now (probably starting all over again with a new character), and resume when you've got ToB installed, or
b) Beat the game with your Necromancer right now, then install ToB, and slowly come to the conclusion that all the EXP you earned in Chapter 7 didn't count for anything, and you also don't get to keep the effects of the Tears (the meaning of this will become clear to you in the final battle).

In conclusion: Yes you can, but no you shouldn't.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

in reply to lord: i do not have TOB installed. I hit my exp cap long ago. I am currently writing up a report of my adventure as i go to post on the forums but i am only getting to play once or twice a week so i would be updating it very slowly.

I reached my XP cap well before i returned from the underdark

thanks six of spades, i will wait and not waste any more experience until i get my TOB back and then do some more quests to get my HLA's to kick irenicus's arse! i am not using the cloak of mirroring btw so there goes that idea... lol
Old 07-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Imrahil
Elminster

If nothing else, you can still use *scrolls* of 9th level spells. Call it a hunch, but I think you'll even find a Time Stop scroll soon... [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:12 AM   #8
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

yeah i can get scrolls and have bought some but i am going with what six of spades said and not pushing on until i have TOB installed... all that XP that could mean the continued survival for my mage is not something that i should waste. I think that i could use scrolls to defeat him but it would still be hard and as six of spades said: i could but i shouldn't.

thanks to all for your help [img]smile.gif[/img]