Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

As some of you may have seen from my previous posts I am a fan of prog, however from the fact that my prog quotes did not get answered in the Song Lyric Quote thread I just started wondering about how much people know about prog. So just out of interest which of these bands do you know?

Dream Theater
Queenscryche
Symphony X
Spock's Beard
Threshold
Evergrey
Enchant
Ark
Ayreon
Vanden Plas
Transatlantic
Mastermind
Magnitude 9
O.S.I.

Will continue the list later, but I have to go now.

ADD:
The Flower Kings
Kaipa
Pain of Salvation
Pallas
Planet X
Platypus
Star One (other project by A.A. Lucassen, creator of Ayreon)

[ 06-10-2004, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: dplax ]
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

I know about three quarters of those bands, but never really looked into their music... I'm not even sure if it's taste-related; I listen to plenty of bands which use progrock-elements from time to time, but I'm not much of a purist within any genre.
Feel free to list a few must-haves, though - and don't worry about userfriendliness or concern yourself with albums to get "into the genre"; I prefer some sharp edges, freaky experimentalism and interesting crossovers over cheesy one dimensional riffs or outright boring-yet-accessible progressions any time of day.

[ 06-09-2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

A friend let me listen to Symphony X and Queensryche I think. I've heard of Dream Theater and Ayreon. I think I've heard an Evergrey song. But just the fact that it didn't strike me as sounding good or the fact that I can't remember it at all just says enough. Not my style of music I suppose.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Queensryce I love some of their songs, silent lucidity is probably my favorite though
Old 06-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

No one has even managed to spell Queensr˙che correctly though [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Out of your list, that is the only band I truly love, although I can appreciate Fates Warning and Dream Theater occasionally, and must listen to some Ayreon again because I have a feeling I might like that. (only listened to one of the first albums in the shop as it came out...)

Queensr˙che is really brilliant though, and they're fantastic on album as well as live. Geoff Tate is one of my fave singers - so versatile and at the same time technically skilled and emotionally charged. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As a rule I'm not into prog/tech metal though, not really my cup of tea. Although I can always appreciate fine musicianship when I hear it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2004, 02:50 AM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

I've added a few more to the list.

Mel: I don't know Queensryche (I can't find that accent, at least I spellt it right now [img]smile.gif[/img] ) at all, just heard that they are a good band. Would you have any album recommendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Feel free to list a few must-haves
These shall of course be my personal likes so I can't guarantee that everyone will like them.

For prog rock: I recommend Ayreon and The Flower Kings. I'm not too familiar with The Flower Kings (my friend has nearly all of their albums), but of Ayreon I would especially recommend Into the Electric Castle and Universal Migrator Part 1 and Part 2.

For prog metal: I have several good recommendations here (in no order):
Threshold: Clone
Threshold: Hypothetical
Magnitude 9: Reality in Focus
Symphony X: V
Symphony X: The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Dream Theater: Live Scenes from New York (best live album I've heard so far, 3 CD's)
Pain of Salvation: The Perfect Element Pt.1
Pain of Salvation: One Hour by the Concrete Lake
Evergrey: Recreation Day (a bit darker than the rest, but has great guitar parts in it)
Ark: Burn the Sun
Enchant: Wounded&Time Lost (normally two albums, but available as doublepack)
Enchant: Juggling 9 or Dropping 10
Mastermind: Excelsior! (if you want something instrumental)

[ 06-10-2004, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: dplax ]
Old 06-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #7
dplax
Jack Burton

I almost forgot the one good hungarian prog band.

They are called Stonehenge and they have released one album so far which is called Angelo Salutante. I've heard that there are some sites on the net where you can listen to some of their tracks for free (legally), but I don't know what the websites are. Check them out if you are interested.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:55 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hiya dplax. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, THE Queensr˙che album has got to be Operation Mindcrime - a concept album that is really indescribably kick-ass. You can blindly buy that, I cannot imagine you not loving every second of it. [img]smile.gif[/img] The actual concept story is quite gripping and that's rare in concept albums. Especially Suite Sister Mary is an unequalled piece of poignant brilliance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Another classic CD is Empire. They also have a Greatest Hits album BTW, that might be a good one to get acquainted with their work. But again I heartily recommend Operation Mindcrime - you'll love it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2004, 04:01 AM   #9
dplax
Jack Burton

Thanks I'll check those albums out next week when I go back to Hungary for the holidays.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well, after all the positive critisism Queensr˙che recieved here, I decided to pick up one of their albums. All I can say now is.. thanks guys, you've really made my day. Its a great group (too bad they split up), and I'll definately be buying more of their work in the future [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote