Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2001, 02:52 AM   #1
Sir Markus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is a minor, minor thing IMHO, BG2 is a great game, but I wish that you could right click the spells memorized at the bottom of the screen to go directly to the spell info page. The way it is now, to get to individual spell pages for info as to what they do, one has to look at the icon and get the spell name and then physically enter the spell book and right click there instead. It would just be easier if you could just right click the icon from the game screen. This has been a complaint with all the Infinity games, maybe they just can't do it for some reason, but that would be something for them to add in future Infinity Engine games.
Old 03-04-2001, 02:55 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

You mean like the interface for Diablo 2?

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-04-2001, 03:20 AM   #3
Sir Markus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Haven't played and won't play Diablo 2, not my cup of tea....

My point is you can right click on the spell icon to get the spell description if you are actually in the spell book, but you can't do the same thing from the game screen, which would save about three or four steps if you want to get spell info from that screen.
Old 03-04-2001, 08:19 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Yes, that would be handy - right clicking doesn't do anything as I recall. By the late stages in the game, I find there are spells I memorise & don't use, because although the descriptions look good when I memorise them, I can't remember what they do by the icon and spell name alone. And I'm too lazy to pause mid combat & dig the manual out to look up the spell details ...

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:26 AM   #5
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

You'll get used to the symbols and icons after you've played for a while ... although I am still confuse by remove magic and dispel magic....hmmmmmm

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #6
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I am glad that I am not the only one who has trouble with the spells. I can't get used to having a spell and then using it up so you don't have it any more. I wish you could memorize the spell and it would stay with you throughout the game. I also wish it were easier to figure out which spell to use. In Wizards and Warriors, you had a page you went to where the spells were categorized and it was pretty easy to use and understand.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 03-04-2001, 12:05 PM   #7
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

The spell I use the most is Magic Missiles, even if it's a lv1 spell a lv 13 mage can do serious damage. I use the other spell to store them so I can get a quick shot disrupting spells. with the necklace aran linvail gives you Magic missiles are great. The other spell are the Clouds(fogs) (They kill minor ennemies and the hiher versions kill summoned creatures in a snap). save for those I rarely use any other spells.

I used to love Charm because in Bg1 you interogate a person to get more info. I loved it when in Bg1 when the killers spiled their info on servoks plans.

One spell I love to hate is Time Stop. When liches or other mages do it. wham all theire spells it one after the other. When I use it I start casting spells like Pierce shield after I cast my offensives once the time stop is finnished. The offensives hit the protections and after that the pierce shield hit and lowers the protections making my offensives useless.

I hope that make the charm spell like in Bg1 at least for the info spilling part.

------------------
I am the lord of Ravenloft foolish bohdi... Come my little vampire thing you will obey me!
Old 03-04-2001, 12:11 PM   #8
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Provided you have install the exp cap remover and are in high enough level (18 I believe), you can give the lichs a taste of time stop too. My favorite magic protection removal spells remains to be spellstrike (if applicable) and breach ... but if you want pure damages with relatively safety, try Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, simply priceless.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-04-2001, 12:27 PM   #9
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

I don't use cheats (I installed it to see Atremis npc) I buy the time stop from various stores or find them in chests in dungeons but a mage of any lv can read the scroll still I have that timing problem where I want the disabling spell to hit first instead of the offensive.

For the liches I usualy start them fighting then I run and hide and summon sacrificed monsters until I know the worst spells are over. My favorite item are scroll of undead protection (Keep em for the demi-lich), Ring of the ram I've got 2 1)steal it off the mage... 2)Kill the mage in Planar sphere, Rod of death cloud (the rod seems to by-pass magic resistance) and a thief with a high detect illusion so I can see through the Liches protections.
Old 03-04-2001, 12:43 PM   #10
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

This is probably open for debate regarding the use of exp cap remover, many don't consider it to be a cheat since it allows the player to benefit from using his/her PC for more than 1 game. True you can create a very powerful character, but it is from the legit experience you have earned during the course(s) of the game. This is of course provided you did not hack the exp points, otherwise you are cheating yourself. That's just my 2 cents.
Against normal lichs, my cleric do the spell casting (although mage will have true seeing on) while my tougher tanks hack away. Against demi-lich, my berserker/mage does the hacking while my other party memebers go hiding.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!