Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2000, 11:58 PM   #1
G.W.

Is this a bug? I remember in BG a dual class thief with mastery of bows, but a dual class on Icewind Dale (after the patch at least) can't go past two in any weapons categories.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:32 AM   #2
BlueCross

I've been having similar problems.

I can't get any Dual- or Multi-class characters to get a third '*'.

Also, I now have a game with a fighter who was able to get a third '*' in bows but cannot get a fourth!

Am I missing something here?
Old 07-26-2000, 02:36 PM   #3
sibley

Multi-class fighters are restricted to two plusses, yes.

You can get as many plusses as you want with a human fighter before dualling to a second class. When you get enough levels, the plusses will return, providing they're for an allowed weapon. This is an important difference between multi- and dual-classing.

Three plusses is the limit for bows. Possibly the same for all missile weapons. This is part of the attempt to lower the effectiveness of bows, thought to be too powerful in BG. Thus, we'll probably see the same, if not worse, in BGII.
Old 07-26-2000, 05:50 PM   #4
BlueCross

Is the reverse not true?

I dualed a mage to a fighter; now I can't seem to get the fighter to get more than two '*' in any weapon proficiency.

Thanks.

Dick
Old 07-26-2000, 06:08 PM   #5
Terralor

You *should* be able to do the reverse. Did you actually gain 3 levels as a fighter and try to put a 3rd '*' in? At character creation, no character can have more than 2 '*'s in any weapon. When you dual class, you're kind of redoing creation, so it makes sense that you can only get 2 '*' then. But, get to level 3 as your fighter, then try it.
I'm not 100% sure, because I always start out as a fighter, then dual to something else.

Also as pointed out, multi-classed warriors can't get more than 2 '*'s anyway. And bows are limited to 3 '*'s.

Note that Coran (I think that was his name) in BG was an exception, as he had 3 '*'s, but this was just his type of "special ability" and is not normally possible. I've seen confusion due to that in the past....

Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2000, 06:13 PM   #6
BlueCross

When I dualed to the fighter, I gave her two '*' in long swords. When my fighter reached level 3, I got a another '*' to play with but I was unable to add a third '*' to the Long Swords.

I have done this twice now so I am pretty sure I am doing it right.

So far I have only been able to get 3 or more '*' to pure fighters.
Old 07-26-2000, 09:13 PM   #7
sibley

> So far I have only been able to get 3 or more '*' to pure fighters.

Yes, that's the general idea. But there is a loophole. Namely if you start with a pure fighter then dual-class, you can get as many plusses as you want before dualling. The game does not know that the character is not going to remain a pure fighter. You might not even know yourself.

Of course, the designers could have been nasty and limited you to two plusses when you get the fighter skills back, but apparently they didn't.
Old 07-27-2000, 12:39 AM   #8
weenie

waitaminnit .. forgive me if i'm stupid .. so if you start out as pure fighter, get mastery in, say, large swords, then dual to mage ... can you or can't you use a long sword with mastery once your mage level surpasses your fighter level?
Old 07-27-2000, 12:47 AM   #9
kdogrex2

Haven't been able to prove it yet (I'm doing the same thing with a fighter/druid) , but yes, you should get your mastery profiencies back once that happens
Old 07-27-2000, 01:46 PM   #10
Terralor

Yes, if you start as a fighter, get mastery (or higher), then dual, you will regain your mastery level once your new level surpasses the old. The only classes that will still have weapon restrictions at that point are druids/clerics, so be sure your weapon choices as a fighter are compatible with these classes when you want to dual to them. 4 of my 6 characters are level 6 fighters (high mastery) dualed to other things (1 mage, 1 thief, 1 cleric, 1 druid). It is quite deadly.