Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I like the sound of this

Quote:
Microsoft chairman, Bill Gates, speaking at the annual meeting of the Society of American Business Editors and Writers confirmed that Xbox 2/360 will go one step further than its predecessor in creating a media entertainment center hub for the living room.

According to Mr. Gates, the new console, codenamed Xenon by Microsoft, will be even more of a PC hybrid than ever. In order to bridge the gap between a media center PC and the Xenon Microsoft will use all of its usual tricks including a software menu reminiscent of the Media Center edition of Windows. If you're used to that menu, when you use this Xenon you'll see a menu a lot like that that lets you get photos, TV, music and all those different things... said Gates.

During the speech Bill Gates stressed that Microsoft's focus was firmly placed on getting XBox Live to be recognized as the main feature of the console, it is after all through connenctivity that the company will be able to begin delivering other services to the consumer. Extra features of XBox Live on 360 will offer gamers greater control of their online gaming.

Gates was very careful not to mention details about individual features of the new console but insisted that Microsoft had earned the right to compete against Sony on equal terms this time round. What we've got in this at some significant financial cost, was the right to play again with great credibility, Gates said. So now people are looking at the two companies at a pretty much equal basis.

Another noticeable aspect of Bill Gate's speech was the scorn directed at rivals Apple which he claimed is the the super-small market share guy... since they have 4 per cent of the OS market. He did not comment on questions about the recently released Tiger OS which is claimed by many to be the leading Operating System with the richest set of features available but did took another jab at Apple by saying You can always tell if you're working on a Mac or a PC. Just take your applications and stick them in there and see if they run... Microsoft however, is still not a monopoly we are assured.
And a bit of competition is never a bad thing [img]graemlins/eatmousepointer.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Mmmm... gonna have to start saving for this baby. Anyone know when it comes out?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

As if controling the software market is not enough he wants all the hardware to be built by micro$oft too.

I really can not see the point in an X box controling your entertaiment when a PC will do that job and more. Maybe I am missing something?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Xbox can use a bigger screen.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Sir G, I can happily plug my computer into my Widescreen

John, Media centre PC's are different from normal PCs in that they are genuinely smaller, quieter, and blend in better in a living room environment. I think the Xbox 2 is aiming to be this sort of idea. Windows Media OS is different aswell, picture a windows XP login screen, but instead of different names are different features. The Xbox 2 will likely be a DVD player, hold MP3s, etc. (Much like the Xbox 1 if you think about it).
Old 05-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

I think if the Xbox360 wanted to be a better Media Center "PC", they should have teamed up with the guys who made the Xbox Media Center and went from there...

They've also mentioned that all controllers will be Longhorn compatible out of the box, BUT, 360 is released this fall. Longhorn next year. How did they manage to get the controllers compatible before the damn operating system is released??
Kynaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kynaeus:
I think if the Xbox360 wanted to be a better Media Center "PC", they should have teamed up with the guys who made the Xbox Media Center and went from there...
Not sure I get you...don't you mean the guys who made Windows Media Center?

Quote:
They've also mentioned that all controllers will be Longhorn compatible out of the box, BUT, 360 is released this fall. Longhorn next year. How did they manage to get the controllers compatible before the damn operating system is released??
Easy.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

How much are they selling it?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
quote:
Not sure I get you...don't you mean the guys who made Windows Media Center?

Quote:
Easy.
[/QUOTE]Nope! I meant Xbox Media Center, google it and you'll find out. It is a VERY good program, I love it and use it often to watch or listen to things off my computers (Since me and my brother have a lot of music and watch many things, tv episodes, movies, cartoons etc.)
Kynaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Heh, Windows Media Centre my a$$ [img]tongue.gif[/img] Can you imagine it? This television programme has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down...
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote